Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a crazy thing, maybe I'm missing the obvious...

Set your PVR to record a hockey game. Set the recording to go 30 minutes over scheduled time. Now if you're watching live and the game ends sometime in that 30 minutes overtime, YOU CANNOT CANCEL THE RECORDING! You have to record the full thirty minutes of whatever comes after the game. It seems the user interface does not afford any obvious way to cancel it. :confused:

Not a big deal really, yet another stupid "feature" of these expensive devices. I've never spent so much money on such a poorly implemented devise... Oh wait I had a Windows 3.1 computer once, but that was given to me.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You can stop the recording manually. Just go to the tuner that is recording the show and press STOP. It will ask you if you want to stop the recording in progress.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What STOP? The square "stop" button on the remote stops what is playing. I don't get any option to stop the recording. If you hit "info" while watching you can only stop playing, or delete the recording. I don't see any way to simply stop recording. If you go back to the guide and select the scheduled time slot, it does not recognize the recording from the previous time slot is still recording over time, so hitting the record button will start another recording (so you're now recording the same show on both tuners).

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
If both tuners are recording then if you hit channel up/ down on the tuner you want to stop; you can cancel the recording from there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, if both tuners are in use and you change channel it will throw up a message on screen with the option to stop recording, which is why it's not a "show stopper" issue. But if you are not already using both tuners and you just want to stop recording, you don't seem to have the option. It's just another example of the poor UI design these PVRs have.

In this particular case, I should be able to just stop recording, and it should be obvious how. I don't want to sit there poking around in the UI searching for such an obvious thing.

With vastly improved UIs on other consumer devices such as iPhones, iPads, XBOXs, Windows Phone 7, Apple TV, and now Mediaroom from Telus, these PVRs are an embarrassment for Shaw (end rant).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you aren't recording on both tuners, you can still stop a recording early by changing to another channel, and then press the swap button to get to the tuner which is recording the show. Then press the square Stop button and you can stop the recording.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm not sure if this constitutes "sitting there poking around in the UI searching for such an obvious thing", but if you go to your LIST and delete the program, it stops recording it.

Just another option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts