Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'professionally' applied, spray foam sound insulation is too expensive and I don't need a lot done.

Does anyone here know of any cans of this spray foam available from the big box stores, or any other method to accomplish this with some type of expanding foam product?

Thanks,

Exrobotguy

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The canned foam will only work for relatively small gaps, under 1", or slightly larger with some effort. It will not work for large surfaces. AFAIK, the professional spray foam products must be applied professionally. It might be possible to rent a machine but I wouldn't try to do it, and I am a bit of a handyman. Rockwool or fiberglass insulation batts are your best bet for DIY sound insulation. Use the canned foam or foam strips to seal cracks that may leak air and sound.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Rona sells semi-pro spray foam kits. :) They don't list them online so you will have to visit the store to get more information.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Is the item you are doing portable? If so you may be able to take it to the shop, or a job site of a "FOAMER" where they could do it for you at a discount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts