Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently a Bell subscriber but I am wanting to switch to Shaw Direct due to the annoying simulcast practices. I've also heard that Shaw Direct has better PQ as well....but I digress. From what I've read from perusing the Shaw website, you can only purchase receivers up front and can't rent them? And if you cancel before 12 months of service, there is a $200 charge and you have to return your receivers???? Just looking for some clarification on this. Thanks!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is correct. They don't have a "contract" so according to them they can advertise "no contracts", but they have an "agreement", which of course you don't see until you get your first bill - at which point is too late. The "agreement" includes the 12 year term, with a $200 fee, or giving back the equipment you paid for.

Do NOT sign up unless you're 100% sure you want to stick with them. MoFo's tried screwing me around with that - but I manipulated the system to my favor in the end ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I wanted to give it a try for a month or two here's what I'd be looking at: $400 for the HD pvr box, and then if I cancel, I pay them another $200. So it costs me $600, but I keep the receiver correct? So if I could turn around and resell it for close to what I paid, I'm still $200 out of pocket I suppose.

Hmmmm, this really doesn't sound too appealing.

Offspring22, how did you make out in the end???

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That is correct. There is actually a reason behind this. All receivers are sold at a subsidized cost, and they need to be sure they can make that money back.

Just a thought, I believe if you were to activate a used receiver, you would not be subject to these terms.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The $200 covers the dish and free installation as well. Bell locks you in for 2 years with free installation and you still pay them over $300 for the HDPVR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cgloba:

I moved into a house that already had a dish attached - no installation required by Shaw Direct. So I went and bought the HD-PVR 530 at visions in Calgary for $500 (went to the Shaw Main Office, but they were sold out so they sent me 2 blocks away to get one).

6 months later, my girlfriend and I decide to buy a house. We decided we rather not put a dish on our brand new house as it's still under builder warranty etc. We figured we'd go with Shaw cable which was already installed in the house anyways.

I called Shaw Direct to cancel my account, so I could try and sell my 530 and recoup some of the $500 I paid. I was told there was a 1 year "agreement" which I knew nothing about - rep at the SD office never said anything, nor was I told when I was signed up, I didn't think anything of it, they advertise no contracts. After over an hour of arguing with the cancellation supervisor and getting no where, I told them I want to put my account on a "vacation suspension" - which he initially refused to do, since I already told him I was moving. I asked him if he was calling me a liar, and if he can refuse to follow one policy (by not allowing me to go on a suspension), how come he can't slide the other one and let me cancel. He gave in, and let me put it on a suspension.

I then ended up putting a complaint in to the BBB and someone higher up at SD contacted me - they still wouldn't let me just cancel, but gave me 2 options. Either keep it on the suspension for 6 months, and cancel then, or send back another (305) reciever I was given by a friend - I chose the 6 months as it would cost me nothing, and I had to give up nothing.

After we moved, we did end up deciding to stay with SD as Telus TV wasn't offered in my new area quite yet - and if we were going for a dish anyways, I already had some hardware, and didn't want to rent/buy new hardware from Bell. So we signed up with a new account under my gf's name at the new address. New 505 reciever for dirt cheap, new programming credits, and transfered my 530 over as the 305 stayed on the old account.

Suck on that Shaw.

I don't buy that a 530 costs more than $500 to produce - it's a what, how many year old product? Plus the new 630 was right around the corner which I didn't know when I bought the 530. By the time the vacation suspension was up, my 530 would be worthless.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm not sure why they would invoke any restrictions on you since SD did not provide you with any equipment nor did they do any installation. I failt to see what committment you had to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to clarify. The info people are stating is wrong. If you cancel within 12 months, it's $200 early cancellation fee OR return all receivers purchased. So no u do not pay 200 and return all receivers. It's one or the other. As well you will need to provide 30 days notice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It seems that Shaw has reacted to the misleading charge by the Advertising Council. All Shaw Direct "No contract" ads have been changed to "No Long Term Contract".

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
A word of advice if you decide to cancel your serives... get your services knocked down the cheapest package possible if you don't plan on using it.

I forgot to do this... it took over 2 hours, but to SD's credit, they did fix it for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts