Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to use series recordings because they often end with strange results. I like to set my recordings each day or a few days at a time.

Once in a while, a recording doesn't occur. Until the recent software upgrade, I couldn't really tell why (or at least I didn't know how to check). Now, whenever a recording fails, I always check the DVR history and the system tells me why.

Sometimes, it's "due to a hardware failure", which is strange because I've never really had any problems with my DVR.

Often, and this is the case both last night and last week with The Big Bang Theory, it's "the recording was cancelled by the system".

Has anyone else received the latter message? And if so, do you know the possible causes? My thought is perhaps the program info was updated and in doing so, that cancels the scheduled recording but I might be way off. Either way, I've had to download TBBT two consecutive weeks (because I'm home too late to record off the Seattle CBS affiliate).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cancelled by the System

Had the same problem. Had "The Middle" 8pm Wed. on ABCHD & "Modern Family" 9pm Wed. on CityTVHD set up as series recordings and noticed one night that they both didn't record. Had to quickly setup to manually record the west feeds and investigate why they didn't record. They had disappeard from my series recordings list. I just noticed not too long ago in my DVR history that they were "cancelled by the system" Can anyone explain to me why this happend? If the "system" is going to pick and choose what it's going to record on it's own why would I want to pay "Cogecrap" the obsured amount that I do for my cable each month?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Plugged "the recording was cancelled by the system" (with quotes) into Google and only two links showed up.

It appears to have happened on ComCast as well... The circumstances appear to be a case of the originating station changed programming at the last minute, thus the system cancelled the recording, which would have been in error anyway. Now, to see if that was the case with Cogeco, you might need to do a little sleuthing... :)

Here I use an older PC with BeyondTV4 which works like a charm for SD recordings.

Cameron

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll update with more info, but no further ahead. The week after posting this, I set up TBBT to record on both East & West coast feeds. I set it up to start 3 minutes early on CBS Detroit.

At the same time, I always record Community. This particular week, I set it up to record 2 minutes early (I usually have Community start a minute before TBBT, but I switched it this time around).

In this case, both broadcasts of TBBT recorded, but Community was "cancelled by the system". It seems that at 8:00 on Thursday nights, Cogeco will not allow recording on both tuners for some reason. I regularly record on both tuners and this is really the only time I have a problem, yet it seems to occur each week. The seasons are over for both these shows, so it's no longer a genuine concern for me, it just seems strange.

It's a good thing too, because apparently if I download the missed recordings via BitTorrent, I'll get a notice from Cogeco.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I mean I'll get a notice from Cogeco.

Cogeco will get a notice from the copyright owner and pass it along to me with their comments (if any). The copyright owner (presumably) has no means to identify me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts