Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too have cancelled my cable, and have an 8300 full of stuff I'd like to be able to get off the drive ( in HD, not the "copy to VCR" method ) before I get shut down. Possible ?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Your best bet, if you want to view the content, is to disconnect the unit from the coax at least the day before your disconnect is to happen. This way, your box won't receive any disable command from HQ. I would venture to say the first 30 days or so your box can probably play back material, after that, (all) boxes need to be reauthorized. Then you may run into problems as others have recently.

And if your talking about getting the HD content off the box by copying it from the internal hard drive to your computer, that simply can't be done. The drives use an encrypted file system and there is no publically known solution around that. Copying to VCR/DVR is the only method available.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
The copy options (DVD, PC, VCR, etc) are all outlined in the following:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50162

For HD, see the "Recording HD" FAQ and the links there to the Hauppauge threads in the HTPC forum. Those links are also in the first link above. You cannot "download" only copy in realtime to some device, like the Hauppauge HDPVR.

If you have questions about copying, please use the link above (or the Hauppauge or Firewire threads, depending), not this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I cancelled my rogers account and unplugged the box beforehand, and I decided to watch some of my recorded shows. I own my 8642 pvr.

I am getting an error message on the lcd -01- , ive tried searching and cannot find anything, also, I tried the reboot, hold select and then list but the blinking message icon never appears. I unplug and the plug the pvr, it says bootstr then ---- then -- followed by the pvr turning off with the power icon blinking and when it comes to, it displayes -01-.

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
This thread is about the 8300 (SARA firmware). The 8642 has different firmware (RTN) and works differently. I'm not sure if I recall someone discussing the RTN firmware on a non-connected PVR like the 8642 or the 9865. The latter two probably need to be connected to boot/operate. The 8300 may boot and may play, provided it has not been "de-athorized" while connected.

This would have been easy to test while you were still subscribing. Unscrew the RF-coax cable from the 8642 or 9865 and see if it'll boot without the connection by unplugging replugging the electrical cord. To be sure, it might be a good idea to leave it unpowered overnight.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know that when I unplugged the power and unscrewed the cable from my 8300HD and started it up again without the cable, I got some message about not authorized, but eventually could play my recordings. I did notice that the time was not correct on the display.

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK I cancelled my cable service with Rogers last week. The time on the 8300HD displayed past the date and eventually became four dashes. I had recalled reading here that it was likely possible to view your recordings after cancellation, so I referenced the information in this forum.

I was unable to get anywhere and only saw the unauthorized message ... But I am not entirely sure if someone here was successful in resurrecting their recordings on a deactivated 8300HD?

I own the 8300HD and it has an upgraded 500 GB correct IDE drive filled with programming I would like to view now and in the future and think that Rogers should not have the right to deny people the access to what is their equipment with recordings made during active subscription over many years.

I was not able to reach the Office of the President since they would not transfer my call but I did speak to a Customer Service, Loyalty Program Manager and explained to him my disappointment and disagreemnet with Rogers deactivating my owned PVR and deny me access to my recordings.

To appease the situation, he reactivated my PVR and allowed me six weeks to view my recorded content after which it will be deactivated again. Also, I asked for a call-back from the Office of the President which I was told will take place in three to five days.

I think it is totally improper to deny access to recorded content on customer-owned equipment, sure disconnect the cable that is fine.

Input and views of members is welcome, I will be talking with the Office of the President.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Although it was possible to utilize the 8300HD as discussed years ago, early in this thread W/O service, I do not believe you can do this any more, as discussed in most recent posts. Also, you must unplug the PVR before they deactivate your service - in that case you may have a few weeks to watch your recordings before the PVR becomes totally inoperable.

The "test" done by @oldyellr, above tested that, but did not test after deactivation or for the long term. Although the PVR is yours, the programming recorded on it is not. The programming is "lent" to you for timeshifting only, while on Rogers, not for archiving. Of course you can sell the PVR to someone else on Rogers.

The 8642 and 9865 simply will not boot without service.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks 57, so as you say unplugging before deactivation appears to be the only option that may provide more time to view recorded content? I plan to set a reminder for myself to unplug before it is deactivated again.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Even that (disconnecting the cable, but leaving the PVR plugged in) may not be guaranteed, if you lose power later. The newer PVRs require an active connection to boot. I'm not sure if that applies to the 8300HD now. Post 46 seems to indicate you can boot, but that was a year ago...

As always, it's a good idea to have the PVR on a UPS to preclude short power failures that can cause HDD damage and reboots.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always used a UPS.

When Rogers sent the signal to de-authorize it I did manage to get the BOOT message on power up but the end result was four dashes displayed instead of the time and terminal unauthorized on the TV.

I suspect Rogers must have changed something to prevent playback when they de-authorize, it appears that some were able back then.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts