Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, after being customer for several years now, I have decided to can XM. They were only willing to renew me at $120/year including online (whereas it was around $100 before).

I am going to wait to see what service and selection is like after the merger, before taking out another one year subscription. I would be up for taking a short subscription out (3-6 months) but they could not offer me that at a competative price.

With the selection from online streams being much greater and Bluetoothing my iPhone to my car stereo, I don't see why I should bother with poor XM quality at high prices... I used to be against the inconvenience of having to turn on Bluetooth to hear music, but the trade-off is now worth it to me and XM is not... :(

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Cancelled mine today...
I may try a US $77 Subscription.... but ~$200/ year for less channels... not for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I almost didn't renew when my trial ran out a few months ago. But they called and offered me the "12 months for the price of 6" deal which worked out to be around $5/month - well worth it to me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
the $5 a month deals seem to have dried up since the merger was announced. When did you get that offer?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did they try and stick you with a cancellation fee?

They stuck my buddy with a $60 charge when he canceled last week.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
I cancelled 5 days into the new subscription when I saw it appear on my credit card statement, despite XM using an expired expiry date. I told I would be charged 5/365 * $210 for my usage.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've been with XM Canada since October 2006 and have been given various price breaks over that time period.

I called tonight to cancel and was offered various discounted annual rates, the best one worked out to $10 a month + tax.
I declined those offers, as I cannot afford to pay for an entire year right now.

I was offered $6.99 a month for 3 months ($23.60 taxes included) and took that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know why people don't get the Lifetime Subscription. Maybe it's not available anymore, but I have it on 3 of my radios. Each subscription pays for itself in 3 years. What a great deal? Yes, it may seem like a lot of money up front, but in the long run you are saving a phenomenal amount of money. I have been a subscriber since the beginning and am already into my second year of free satellite radio.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I believe the Lifetime has been gone for sometime.

When I signed up in 2006, I got a lifetime sub. While it appeared to pay for itself in 3 years, that really isn't true. Had you I signed up for six months and then got the retention deal, the payback time would have been longer.

Having said the Lifetime plan has now worked out to about $10 a month for me and that average declines with every passing month so not a horrible deal.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I don't know why people don't get the Lifetime Subscription.
The Lifetime is still available in the States although I think it has gone up.

When I can get a sub at 5 months for $20 or $77 for the year, it does not pay for itself in 3 years. Maybe it does if you pay full price.

Factor in that $75 fee for transfers with a limit of 3 and the deal is no longer so attractive.

I've had various "lifetime" subscriptions in the past. Inevitably, it was the lifetime of the company, not my lifetime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might be able to still get life in Canada for 549.99!. Just make sure
your radio is removable from your car.

http://www.xmradio.ca/automotive/RadioOptIn.aspx

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I have 3 Lifetimes. I paid $549.99 for each of them. If you divide that by 36 months (3 years) it works out to $15.27 per month. So like I said, it pays itself off in 3 years. (less actually)

The fine print states that you can have a total of 3 transfers per radio at $75 each. I have only had to transfer one radio so far and they waived the fee since the receiver was defective. It is a great deal! If it is still available, I would certainly recommend it. It is penny wise and pound foolish to pay monthly.

I am now into my second year of free satellite radio!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My subscriptions average $6.50/month or less. Based on a cost of $549.99, it would take me a little over 7 years to just break even. If I pay for one year in advance and invest the rest (of what I would have paid for a lifetime), I'm well ahead, even further if I got dinged for a $75 transfer which essentially equates to a one year sub at the discounted rate.

I even got credited receently for a month of service when the local repeater went down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Either way, the Lifetime is still a great deal. In the long run, it is by far the better way to save. No discount, other than free, would be better.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
I got sent a winback code this morning to get 6 months @ $5.99/ month (including their Music royalty fee).

I might try my hand at the $77 USA plan first.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
including their Music royalty fee
Just as a clarification, the fee is not a Sirius/XM fee.

The fee is for the Copyright Board of Canada and gets distributed to Canadian artists. More Details here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Winback

I had 3 months of XM with my 2011 Equinox. It just expired this week. I called XM Canada yesterday and mentioned the Winback Code.
They said it was only valid in the US. Best they could offer was around $150 then up to $178 taxes in.
Told them I wasn't interested . . . still looking for a way better deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Six months ago I purchased a new vehicle with built in XM. So cancelled my US Sirius subscrption they tried to retain me with three different offers, think the best was $5 per month for six months.

My 90 free trial then ran out in in November- but mysterisouly XM signed me up for a one year subscription without my permission. I called yesterday to negotiate a deal but they weren't too ineterested- best the manager could do was $12.99 a month. I no longer have any satellite radio, and won't miss it.

I also noticed that my Sirius had a way better selection for my likes over what XM offerred. Mybe this merger will help that.

The end is coming soon for sat radio. Now if they could get sat wifi for $12 a month........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts