Worldwide relief efforts are underway following Saturday’s devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake in Nepal.
Canadians wishing to offer support can do so by using their mobile phones and texting through the Mobile Giving Foundation Canada.
- Text REDCROSS to 45678 to donate $10 or to 30333 to donate $5 to the Canadian Red Cross.
- Text NEPAL to 45678 to donate $10 to UNICEF
- Text RELEIFNEPAL to 45678 to donate $10 the UN World Food Programme
- Text GIVE to 41010 to donate $10 to GIVE
- Text URGENCE to donate $5 to World Vision Canada
Koodo Mobile and its parent company Telus Mobility, Fido and its parent company Rogers, and Wind Mobile are all providing free phone services to Nepal.
Telus is allowing its customers to call or text to and from Nepal for free for the next two weeks.
Fido and its parent company Rogers tweeted that they will be “waiving long distance fees for calls to until May 12” to the area. “Like you, our thoughts today are with all those affected by the deadly earthquake in Nepal,” read a post on the Roger’s website.
Wind Mobile is permitting its non-roaming customers to make free calls to Nepal for the next week.
The UN estimates that eight million people in 39 districts have been affected by the 7.8-magnitude quake -totaling more than a quarter of the population.