Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian signal substitution is a blatant CRTC sanctioned rip off by the major Canadian media conglomerates. It is so infuriating to pay an extra $9.95 per month premium only to have a Canadian signal substituted.This not only happens on the Superbowl but other highly viewed programs.Most Canadian Television networks and stations are owned by the very same media conglomerates that provide the cable or satellite. The rationale for simulcasting is the cost to Canadian providers to purchase the programming however Canadian simulcasting results in a loss of service and enjoyment to its customers especially when the viewer is paying for extra channels not received. In the real world if a business does not provide the service then it's customers would receive a consideration for the loss of the premium service. I complained to Rogers, my provider who informed me if I didn't like it I should cancel the HD Specialty Package. Unfortunately with the archaic system of packaging bundles by canceling the HD package I would also lose the HD stations I enjoy. Rogers has also informed me of a price increase for mostly unwanted television stations and is essentially favoring the Rogers owned stations such as the 1/2 dozen Sportsnets included in it's basic HD package.Based on the unsatisfactory response I have filed a complaint with the CRTC but don't expect the problem to be resolved.My location makes OTA not possible. It's too bad Canadians haven't revolted on Canadian television simulcasting rules like the internet billing issue. The only hope is technological advances.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There are many previous threads on simsubs where this has been discussed at length. If you wish to discuss this issue more, please use one of the existing threads. This thread will be closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.