Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's live with books for sale today. Before now, the Canadian iBookstore just had the Project Gutenberg books. Now you can buy books.

Surprisingly, the book I was looking for was actually there. I say surprisingly because many have complained about the selection in the American store. Prices seem comparable to Kobo.

Like with Kobo, you can sync to the iBooks app on your iPhone or iPod touch. I had to click "buy" to download the book I'd purchased on my iPad to my iPod. It told me it would download a free version because I'd bought the book on my iPad.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As I noted in the ebook reader thread. Today I was interested in Infidel by Ayann Hirsi so I went shopping

• Kobo - $10.99
  • iBooks - $16.99
  • Amazon - $9.52 U.S.
  • Sony Store - $13.64 (US I believe)
  • Books on Board - $13.64 (US I believe)
Clearly iTunes needs to sharpen its pencil on pricing.

This was only one book but with so many reader apps, the iBooks store has to be competitive.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a quick search, and didn't think this news had been posted. Sorry.

The book I was looking for isn't available on the Kindle app, and is the same price as Kobo.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I`m not saying you did anything wrong, I was just pointing out that the iBook stores pricing needs some work and that with the many apps out there, people are not restricted to iTunes.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I was interested in a Stephen King Novel: Under the Dome

• Amazon: $8.33 (Kindle Edition)
  • iBooks: $20.99
  • Kobo: $23.99
  • Sony: $10.49
Still new to the ebook thing so trying to figure out their web storefronts but I think this is accurate.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Quicksilver, that is huge difference in pricing! The great thing with my iPad is the multiple apps so you can shop from multiple stores.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
^^^
Too bad you can't have one bookshelf that all your purchases from the various stores gets fed into.

For the sake of argument the cost of these two books in paper via Chapters Online is:

Under the Dome: $16.49
Infidel: $15.99

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Infidel was $20 in the store, the $15.99 still requires shipping too.

Anyway my whole point was to highlight that it pays to shop around because there is a big pricing variance between stores.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Given that iPad is the 'universal reader' with reader apps from so many e-sellers, and given that some dedicated readers have more desirable screens, you'd think Apple would be a lot smarter about pricing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts