Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have checked my HD Radio and indeed Country 105 is broadcasting in HD. There is currently 1 sub channel at the moment...

CiD

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
2 HD Radio Stations in the Hammer

We now have 2 HD Radio stations in Hamilton.

CING-FM 95.3MHz with HD1 (copy of FM content) and HD2 AM640 Toronto

CHKX-FM 94.7MHz with HD1 (copy of FM content) and HD2 Wave94.7 Smooth Jazz.

Now... Who's next... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
40 Posts
So a little about CHKX's HD signal... It doesn't come in well throughout the GTA, not as clear as CING's HD signal. In fact, it is much more difficult to get the station's HD signal, almost as hard as getting a Buffalo radio station's HD signal, at least here within the Toronto vicinity. Yes, CING does have a stronger overall signal, but CHKX does have peak signal of 100KW. Main reasons why it is harder to get CHKX's HD signal is due to the interference from sister station, CKGE in Oshawa (on 94.9), which comes in quite clear in Toronto. CKGE's signal doesn't seem to be much impacted by the HD signal, but on the other hand, WNED from Buffalo in 94.5, is now barely receivable. I do wonder how this might end up impacting WNED's donations from Torontonians who now have to turn to the internet to hear them, as their FM signal is much harder to recieve because of CHKX's HD operations.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
^^^ Not only that, but what gets me is the re-broadcasting of an internet only radio station, wave.fm. Yes, it was originally on that frequency as wave94.7 but this raises two interesting questions.

95.3MHz has HD2 as AM640, technically an out of market station.
94.7MHz has HD2 as wave.fm, technically an internet only station.

And the sound quality on both frequencies of their HD1's and HD2's is horrid.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, CJSA, 101.3MHz has 4 HD's and they sound fine.

This is starting to sound like my listening to DAB all over again... :-(

Cameron

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hamiltons HD stations

95.3 transmitter antenna is near the top of CHCH tower while 94.7 antenna is much lower.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Actually, if I remember correctly, the 94.7MHz antenna is on a tower to the east of the CHCH tower, which can be seen from the east side of our building, whereas the CHCH tower can be seen from the west side of our building.

On my side (west), 95.3MHz is stronger with next to no multipath, whereas on the east side 94.7MHz is stronger with no multipath. When you reverse the equation, each station is moderately affected by multipath.

My comments as to sound quality dealt with the HD digital signals, not the analogue ones.

HD Radio seems to do quite well with moderate multipath that normally fuzzies up the top end of the audio spectrum.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
900 CHML Hamilton to show up on 95.3MHz in HD

HD Radio | AM900 CHML | Hamilton News

Not sure what will happen to AM640 talk radio that currently is on HD2 of 95.3MHz here in Hamilton, but it looks like it will either be replaced by CHML or CHML will be added as an HD3.

I will periodically check to see what transpires.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
^^^ Correct. :)

However, it wasn't quite ready for prime time yesterday as the fidelity wasn't great and the levels were all over the place, not to mention that HD3 kept coming and going, while the other two (HD1, main program, and HD2, AM640) remained untouched. A work in progress, but I did get in a listen to the Scott Thompson show as they tinkered away with the HD3 feed. A nice addition once they iron out the wrinkles.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hamiltons HD stations

I hope they get the Hd station ID display working too.Their RDS is working for analog but once Hd locks I get blank screen on my Sangean tuner.MY 2016 GM Cruze has no HD radio tuner.GM needs to get with it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Lossed WNED

Noticed that I am not getting WNED 94.5 or 94.9 Oshawa since Hamiltons 94.7 went HD.Used to always get them fine even in HD some days for WNED now just noise.Gain HD lose 2 stations.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I hope they get the Hd station ID display working too.Their RDS is working for analog but once Hd locks I get blank screen on my Sangean tuner.MY 2016 GM Cruze has no HD radio tuner.GM needs to get with it.
Sadly, my father's 2015 Jeep doesn't have HD Radio either. :(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the biggest backdrops for me in terms of upgrading a station to HD is the amount of interference it causes to neighboring stations. When CJSA-FM started their operations on 101.3, I had great difficulty picking up B101 in Barrie or Z101 (now 2Day) in St. Catharines/Fort Erie on 101.1 and 101.5 The Wolf from Peterborough (which has a really impressive signal). Being a casual listener to all those stations on 101.1 and 101.5, I was very disappointed that I was unable to obtain reception to any of those stations in the Toronto vicinity. Recently, it has been the same with CFMS-FM operating at 105.9, where powerhouses 105.7 EZ Rock from St. Catherines and Magic 106.1 from Guelph began to much more difficult to recieve (I had to move out of areas where the HD signal of 105.9 were obtainable to hear both stations). And I imagine, like I stated in my first post, KX94.7's HD operations will definitely have a negative impact on WNED's donations from the GTHA region.

But I don't think this would be much of an issue with the CN Tower group of stations, where there aren't any nearby stations operating right beside their frequencies (ex. 107.1, 104.5, 98.1, 97.3, etc...).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
On 95.3MHz all 3 HD streams have ID now.

On 94.7MHz I'm seeing only the generic HD-1 and HD-2 with the station callsign below it on my tiny Insignia HD Radio.

As far as fidelity goes, the only improvement has been resistance to multipath. Otherwise, the audio so far has been horrid from Hamilton, with the exception of CJSA in Toronto, it sounds fine.

HD Radio can sound terrific (so did DAB, at times), but seems cotton batten is still embedded into said eardrums. To bad too. WYRK from the Buffalo area has sounded incredible in the past when I was able to get it.

As to CHML on 95.3MHz HD3, they need to do some serious rework of levels from various sources. Stuff is currently all over the place re: levels.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Update:

94.7MHz CHKX-FM.
HD1 sounds ok.
HD2 with thewave.fm audio is mostly on the right channel. That nonsense I heard on DAB a lot... Come on folks, this shouldn't be happening in 2016...

95.3MHz CING-FM.
HD1 Highly compressed (to match the FM signal).
HD2 AM640 sounds Ok.
HD3 900CHML now has the sound essentially leveled now. The official launch date is February 1st, although it's up and running now. Great improvement over the AM signal.

Maybe I should go back into that retail outlet and see if their minds are still closed to HD Radio... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Wondering if Country 105 has boosted their HD signal. My Onkyo stereo's "Tuned" indicator lights up on the adjacent frequencies now, and it never used to do that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 247 Posts