Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It helps that the new frequency is second adjacent to another of MZ Media's frequencies, so they are able to accept interference from a co-owned station.

From Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-162
("the Department" in CRTC-speak refers to Industry Canada)

The proposed frequency 96.7 MHz is second adjacent to that on which CFMZ-FM operates, 96.3 MHz. Pursuant to the rules and procedures established by the Department,Footnote 4 the use of frequency 96.7 MHz requires consent from CFMZ-FM. This requirement may preclude the use of frequency 96.7 MHz by any other party. Consequently, the Commission is of the view that its use would not have an impact on the availability of frequencies in Toronto. Further, given the protection requirements on incumbent stations in adjacent markets, the licensee’s use of that frequency, as proposed, would not have a significant impact on the availability of frequencies outside Toronto.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As a fill in transmitter with limited power, it would have no effect here as CHYM-FM from the Kitchener Waterloo area is a bit choppy at ground level and rock solid from my 11th floor apartment looking northwest.

I would have preferred they buy out a major player with the amount of similar content musically being currently broadcast in Toronto across many stations, but that's another topic.

One thing with low powered stations, you need a good radio to receive them as cheaper receivers tend to "cave in" when confronted with the tough radio environment that downtown Toronto is.

Cameron

·
Registered
113 Posts
At 96.7 I get both CHYM-FM From Kitchener but also CJWV From Peterborough. I imagine not much will change for me in Barrie I just have to rotate the beam around but i wonder how much this will screw up CHYM in the western GTA and CJMV in the eastern GTA? Pointing the beam right at downtown Toronto gives me CHYM so I'm guessing there will be more interference there. I doubt I'll be able to pull CFZM-FM out of the noise as its only 22 watts! I can get the York University Community station CHRY on 105.5 but they have 158 watts I think.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Totally crazy to use 96.7.CHYMs 100KW will cause interference as its currently receivable almost everywhere in Toronto.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Right now in the north west end of the GTA the signals start fighting each other around the HWY 410 & 401 area not sure about anywhere else yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
From the gov approval, I gather this is meant to be a type of repeater to serve offices and buildings in the core where the AM signal has difficulty penetrating due to interference. It goes on to mention that there are no available FM slots in the GTA. Therefore any new FM stations approved would only serve very specific low-power roles such as this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fm 96.7 is now on the air. if only rogers cable would pick up the fm signal instead of their am ( 740 ) signal for better sound quality.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
CHYM fm interference from AM 740

My reception of CHYM driving around is ruined by AM740.Thanks CRTC/Industry Canada.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I believe that Derry and Winston may actually be inside CHYM's protected contour. You should contact CHYM, AM740, or Industry Canada to let them know. AM740 will probably have to make some adjustments if they interfere with CHYM.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
CING-FM Hamilton 95.3MHz in HD Radio again

As the message title says...

CING-FM on 95.3MHz is transmitting in HD Radio again.

But a wrinkle has been added.

There is an HD2, of AM640 Toronto, but with a delay of a couple of minutes.

As to the HD1 audio, it's bit clearer, sans the top end distortion and the noise floor has gone. Otherwise, the same processed sound as the FM signal.

The HD2 is in mono.

Interesting

Cameron

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I am all for simulcasting an AM signal on HD2 but I thought the CRTC has said no to this use.AM740 should have used this instead of 96.7 mess.CBC should have used this in the first place and supported the format.Save a dozen repeaters and put radio one on 94.1 HD2 and keep AM 740 for its massive coverage.Zoomer onto 99.1 as its music.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What's that 96.7 mess you are talking about? Curious....
I'm all for AM simulcast using HD2,3,4.. For instance, CHFI should Simulcast 680 news. CKFM should simulcast 1010 CFRB...92.5 should simulcast 590, etc...

I do find the 640 feed a bit metallic with lots of room for improvement. I can be mono, but should sound clear at the very least without the need to be high fidelity.

·
Registered
608 Posts
As the message title says...

CING-FM on 95.3MHz is transmitting in HD Radio again.

But a wrinkle has been added.

There is an HD2, of AM640 Toronto, but with a delay of a couple of minutes.

As to the HD1 audio, it's bit clearer, sans the top end distortion and the noise floor has gone. Otherwise, the same processed sound as the FM signal.

The HD2 is in mono.

Interesting

Cameron
That explains the bars! At first I thought it was interference from something else.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
CIHR-FM Woodstock in HD!

A broadcast engineer friend of mine had an extra promo ticket to see a Shakespeare play in Stratford yesterday.

That opportunity gave me another area to search for stations using HD Radio. Took along my palm sized Insignia HD Radio.

Up popped CIHR-FM on 104.7MHz. It had an HD1 stream only, as well as the usual FM signal. Sound was very good in HD.

So to recap... I'm aware of 3 stations now...

1) CJSA 101.3MHz Toronto with 4 HD streams. (this station is multicultural in nature, and low power)

2) CING-FM 95.3MHz Hamilton with 2 HD streams. HD1 (digital version of the FM feed) and HD2 of AM640 Toronto.

3) CIHR-FM 104.7MHz Woodstock with an HD1 stream of the FM program. Sound is well done.

While traveling on the bus in Hamilton, the HD1 sound is a real improvement without the fluttering and other effects of FM. The improved sound is a welcomed addition too.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@robman50a, is the pip at 96.1 WJYE? That one is in HD as well, so if a tropo happens before the winter sets in (October can have some good tropo at times) you might watch that one too if it peaks in strength. :)

Cameron

·
Registered
608 Posts
@CamDAB Yes 96.1 FM here is WJYE. You are correct. Now that I can see the signals by using the SDR, there are a lot of IBOC signals out there. Mostly state side though but I thought I saw another Canadian one and it may have been CBC Radio. Will have to double check to conform that though.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Wysiwyg the 96.7 mess is the interference between Chym fm Kitchener and Zoomer both on 96.7 in west GTA area.

21 - 40 of 247 Posts