Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
But in the meantime, CKFM cranked up their HD again but CHUMFM stayed quiet, with no HD (again with the 2 AM side channels, CFRB/CHUMAM). When will Bell decide how to properly tune their HD transmitter on the CN Tower so that it doesn't start another fire but provides the greatness of HD technology that they invested so much in, hmmm....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
They do have to apply to the CRTC I'm sure - but obviously CKYY is considered out of your listening area since otherwise there wouldn't be a first-adjacent signal present. As for the US station, it's been proven before that the CRTC really doesn't care about their reception here in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
The CRTC does not regulate the frequency spectrum -- that is done by ISED (The former Industry Canada).
That said, the international frequency coordination treaties are the ones that say that there is no protection for domestic signals of foreign stations. (As opposed to international shortwave stations.)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
In reference to post 201...

My new-ish HD radio gets all three HD streams.

My older HD handheld radio gets HD1 and HD2 and chokes on HD3, which it didn't on previous Bell installs of HD Radio on both 104.5MHz and 99.9MHz Toronto.

Updated CODEC's maybe?

Cameron

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Looks like the HD signal is gone again on CHUM-FM (104.5 TORONTO).

Also it appears that they have messed up their Radio Data System as well since it is no longer displaying the artist or song information and instead it is only displaying their new station slogan/format.
Looks like everything has been reconfigured and CKFM-FM is now in digital with the HD sub channels of CFRB on HD2 and CHUM-AM on HD3.

·
Registered
37 Posts
CFMZ 96.3 has started their HD operations! I'm sure the classical music sounds much better in HD. 2 side HD channels, both rebroadcasting CFZM, one in stereo (the HD2) while the other in mono (the HD3). No text on the HD operations, hopefully that gets up and running soon. Now WMSX will definitely not have any chance to come in the GTA as it is squeezed between 2 HD stations... I wonder the amount of interference this may have with certain fringe areas like around Niagara...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Lost 2 more stations,Mix 96 and WYRK both very noisy at home in Mississauga.In car Mix 96 is gone and WYRK replaced by noisy 106.5 in Toronto.So no gain just loses.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
HD3 on CFMZ is now gone.

Before it went, it went from mono to stereo.

My newer Audiovox radio decoded HD3 whereas my older palm sized Insignia radio would only decode HD1 and HD2. HD3 stuttered into silence once it went stereo. In mono, it decoded.

I will soon be posting about the current reception of HD Radio in this area. It's a mess. :-(

Cameron

·
Registered
234 Posts
I look forward to reading CamDAB's reception report, in the mean time not owning any type of HD receiver is it worth getting one for home use or do internet type streams cover it all anyways?

Is this going the way of Dab radio or do you think that the terrestrial stations that broadcast with it are serious about seeing this format through to success?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My opinion would be that most stations are using it as a mean to get over the reception/audio issues of AM radio, as most Canadian HD2/3 stations are AM rebroadcasters or if they are ethnic stations, they are leasing their HD2/3 side bands to different ethnic music operators (similar to SCMO operations). Is it gonna be successful? I'd look at how "successful" the technology actually has been in the states. Most stations in the US use their HD side channels as a way to get around regulatory restrictions such as getting extra FM rebroadcasters or discounts in paying licensing fees for their internet broadcasts (ie, most of iHeartRadio exclusive channels are HD2/3 stations). Similarly in Canada, although the CRTC regulates the market more strictly than the FCC, they see the technology as a way to get around FM/AM reception issues or sell additional ethnic programming. Personally, I would prefer if HD operations in Canada had more exclusive twist to it, like it did in the US when it first launched in the mid-2000's, with many exclusive music programming (and how DAB stations are in Europe). Unfortunately, due to the price of the HD Radios back in those days, the technology never took off and companies decided it was better to use it as a means to complement the old FM/AM technology and/or to bypass regulatory rules. Folks gotta see content worth investing in, like satellite radio has, in order to have it to become successful. I was in Rochester, NY recently and one of their stations owned by Entercom, 97.9 WPXY, has a really cool HD2 exclusive station with a Modern AC format called [email protected] (nowhere to be found streaming online). Too bad these exclusive stations are not common and hard to find as well. Back in Toronto, 93.5 CFXJ whose owners recently became Stingray, has submitted request to ISEDC that they are going HD. Does this mean there will finally be exclusive music content produced from Stingray on HD Radio? Only time will tell!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rythme FM 105.7 - CFGL French language radio station in Montreal started testing in HD format again. They were testing last year but turned off the HD transmitter due to technical issues. We provided a reception report to the station last year and received a lengthy email from technical manager explaining all the technical issues they are having with HD transition.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
HD radio Broadcasting

My feeling is that more consideration should be given to interference caused to close adjacent stations before HD broadcasting begins.Why should one station be allowed to cancel reception of another.Example when 94.7 Hamilton went HD I loss reception of 94.9 Oshawa.I am in Mississauga.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah one of the major downturns of HD Radio is the interference issue. My loss was 96.1 from Buffalo when both CFMZ and CJKX turned on their HD. Now that they have the Breeze format, it would been lovely to hear some of that music in and around the GTA (Jewel doesn't come close in their format, unfortunately). Went shopping for Boxing Day in Niagara during their first day of launch, there was heavy interference from the HD stations even around St. Catherine's, which is supposed to be within the 60 dBu contour of WMSX. Ironically, WMSX also has HD services which blocks out the Canadian stations from the Greater Buffalo area... Sometimes I wish DAB could have launched more successfully with support from the states. But moving to the 21st century, a 50 year old technology must be improved and this is the only way possible (terrestrially at least).

·
Registered
267 Posts
If we had separate digital radio band like DAB in Europe the problem of interference would be solved. Since this is not the case with IBOC the only solution would be to have a set date for HD transition and have the analog FM switched off completely like it was in Norway. The HD radio technology has a lot of potential but in order for it to work it has to be regulated like it was with digital television.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
@ogorek - I think once all the TV signals that can be re-assigned are gone (There is the current re-pack, then I think we will see another round or two forcing channels to share signals/broadcast towers) then we will see FM radio come next.

The frequency ranges and total bandwidth of FM isn't as desirable as TV's old UHF band, but will one day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blame the end of Tagstation. Many stations in the states who relied on their services also lost album covers and logos. https://tagstation.com Kiss and both Fresh (now Energy) was using their services for logos and album covers. But I think Kiss brought back their logo, when a song isn't playing, it sometimes shows. Also shows 680 News and 590 the fan from their side channels.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
99.5 "KFUN" CKKW now in HD Radio

Had some tropo improving things this morning.

CKKW-FM from the Kitchener area now sporting an HD1 with artist / song info as well as station moniker on HD1. No addition HD subs noted.

I guess the auto-switch in HD receivers prompted this as WDCX from Buffalo caused havoc with their HD signal during tropo events.

Cameron

·
Registered
26 Posts
CIND 88.1 in Toronto seems to be broadcasting a digital signal. I'm hearing it around Waterloo Region this morning.

It shows 2 HD channels, but wonder if there is something wrong with HD2. My Toyota radio gives a signal lost message on HD2 even though it's a got a strong signal and HD1 is working.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts