Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday, the HD Radio feed is back in phase on CING-FM, Fresh fm, 95.3 FM

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No HD Radio signal on CING-FM "Fresh FM" 95.3MHz for the last two weeks.

I wonder if it will return...

Cameron

·
Registered
498 Posts
No HD signal. I am surprised to learn a Canadian station has been doing HD.

Remarkably unhelpful and uninformative website for 95.3 CING.

But the few minutes I listened, sound quality was good with proper treble (unlike 96.3 Zoomer radio that plays only low-garbage MP3 sound re-recorded on to 8-track tapes.... had a long chat with them and they stuck to lying about it).

I hope it isn't cultural snobbishness but HiFi snobishness that leads me to ask why vastly over-produced pop music would ever need quality broadcasting?

Sure would be nice for CBC-2 to try HD.

I hardly ever get PBS 94.5 (1 and 2) in HD much. That is, for long enough stretches of HD between aurally brutal switches of my Sony tuner in and out of HD.

Ben

·
Registered
469 Posts
Has anyone in Vancouver area tried to listen to Sonic 104.9? They are advertising themselves as being in HD now. Are there anymore stations in this area of BC that are receivable in HD? I am thinking of getting an HD radio, but would like to actually be able to receive a few stations first.

·
Registered
580 Posts
They might not *actually* be in HD. HOT 89.9 in Ottawa says the same thing, but they're just capitalizing on the buzzword. With that audience, just telling them it sounds better will make them believe it does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They might not *actually* be in HD. HOT 89.9 in Ottawa says the same thing, but they're just capitalizing on the buzzword. With that audience, just telling them it sounds better will make them believe it does.
I haven't heard HOT 89-9 identify themselves as "HD" in at least 3 years...

·
Registered
498 Posts
If Sonic 104.9 (Vancouver, Rogers) is HD/iBiquity, are there others (now or planned) in HD/iBiquity Canada?

I didn't see anything at Sonic's website to suggest they are broadcasting Justin Bieber (just at this moment) in HD.

Ben

·
Registered
580 Posts
I haven't heard HOT 89-9 identify themselves as "HD" in at least 3 years...
Man, time flies.

In any case, point stands that it's been used as a (fairly meaningless) sell line, and there's a good chance that that's the case with SONiC.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any of those stations owned by Corus by any chance?

Cameron

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was hoping that someone with an HD radio would let me know if it was really broadcasting in HD in Vancouver. I heard it on the weekend (on Sonic), and they mentioned the HD and great quality several times. I was dubious as well (I should have worded my mention of this a little differently), I was just interested in finding out if anyone on the west coast could get any HD radio signals in the Vancouver area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sonic is not broadcasting in HD off air in Van, they are BS on there ads. The only ones i can lock onto is KISM, KAFE and KJAQ some times from seattle.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Any of those stations owned by Corus by any chance?

Cameron
The "New*" HOT 89.9 (CIHT-FM) is owned by Newcap Radio.

* can a station that is over 10 years old be called new? More deceptive advertising.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Visiting Toronto...

Tuning around with Grundig G8 Traveler II radio I noticed a familiar racket either side of 101.3MHz....

Sure enough: CJSA-FM with HD1-4, 4 streams, first two in stereo, second two in mono....

Surprised no one caught this one before..... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
CJSA -HD toronto with 4 audio feeds

I thought CRTC was not allowing more than one audio feed.First time I am seeing it today.If CTRC allows multi audio feeds HD radio stands a better chance of surviving.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was in Toronto from the 24th to 28th of this month and listened to CJSA off and on and noted that it sounded fine. HD1 and 2 are in stereo, HD3 and 4 are in mono.

Cameron

·
Registered
234 Posts
AM 740 Toronto will also be on 96.7 FM

Just heard it mentioned tonight should be coming soon, from there website:
We are thrilled to announce that the CRTC has approved our application to operate a nested FM transmitter in downtown Toronto!

You can expect to hear the same “Best of The Best” AM 740 programming that you know and love on our new 96.7 FM frequency. This FM frequency will give us an improved reception in the downtown Toronto area like you’ve never heard before.

We aim to launch this new station by Fall/2015. Stay tuned for more information!
Looks like they're already on the air. Very weak signal meant for downtown only, I did manage to catch it a little around the airport but comes in and out at that distance.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
That appears to signal a change in policy for the CRTC. Previously, simultaneous broadcasting on AM and FM was not allowed. Ownership of both AM and FM stations in the same market has always been allowed but broadcasting identical content has not.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The CRTC has been allowing this (if the conditions are right) for awhile for infill FM transmitters in downtown areas. Previously, I think it was only the CBC that was applying for infill FM re-transmitters.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Agreed that this is remedial, similar to the situation with CBC Radio 1 in Vancouver where their original 690AM coverage had nasty issues in a variety of Lower Mainland spots so 88.1FM was also assigned. Ironically they later had to also activate on 88.5FM for areas further up the Fraser Valley. I can't remember the last time I used 690AM to listen to them while in the Lower Mainland. Combined with CBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 propagating from over in Victoria the CBC's two networks are well represented on the FM dial.

The Golden Horseshoe has such a crowded FM dial that it is a bit of a feat for IC to have found a frequency that gives the new service a coverage bubble in downtown Toronto.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts