Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's good to see some of those CBC HD feeds, on free to air on Anik F1. They also have a number of CBC feeds that are still encrypted. I wonder why they would bother to do this, considering that there area already 5 open CBC HD channels. Wouldn't it suite them to just let them all be free for the taking, on C Band, since they've already started to liquidate a large number of over the air transmitters?

·
Registered
31 Posts
CBC is available on OTA...
I don't know if I would want to subsidize CBC so they could broadcast an FTA channel, as it is already availalbe from EVERY provider, and OTA. The number of people this would benefit would be so small, I can't see it being worthwhile.
What about those who live in Canada and aren't the priviledged who live in cities and get everything including the benefits of our tax dollars. If you live in the vastness of Canada there is no OTA television. Oh, I guess they can subscribe to some volture provided service. The government likes this. They get more taxes and their friends get rich.

·
Registered
562 Posts
@ Dael--> I suggest you write to your local MNA on the issue. It seems the government would rather spend your hard earned tax dollars on leaky British subs, Sea-King chopters that takes more time to get from Halifax to Montreal than a Greyhound bus and Don Cherry's salary.

Cheers, K

PS- Its true about Greyhound buses

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry dael... Television is a privilege, not a charter guaranteed right.
If I choose to live in the middle of no where, of which I have from time to time, I also choose the pitfalls of no OTA television along with the benefits of where I choose to live.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Yes to rent a transponder, or part of one, is an expensive proposition. You would also need addtional uplink and encoding capability. More channels, more money. Pick a number and add five or six zeros.
With the many CBC OTA transmitters across the country which were decommissioned, there is an increasing demand for free access to the CBC in Canada for residents who are outside the range of the remaining OTA transmitters.

Marc, please get a current quote on how much it would cost to uplink a national CBC HD feed on a Ku-band satellite using a spot beam which limits U.S. coverage such as Telstar 14R's North Atlantic Ocean region beam. A coverage map of this satellite's beam is available on Telesat's website. Based on the signal strength of this beam, a 85cm or larger dish could be used virtually anywhere in Canada and based on the current low usage of this satellite's capacity, I'm sure the cost to rent a transponder would be much lower than average.

Such a service would greatly benefit many Canadians, especially people living in the northern and artic regions of our great country. I'm sure many Canadian taxpayers would appreciate such a service. I'm willing to bet that the money saved in electricity alone from the now decommissioned OTA transmitters is more than enough to fund such a service.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is a great idea!

If the Dutch government can afford to have worldwide coverage of BVN TV "for the benefit of Dutch citizens living abroad" using 8 different satellites, I'm sure CBC can manage to find some space on one or more of the country's satellites.

I guess they kind of already have this with Shaw's LTSS system via Anik F1R and/or Anik F2... maybe this is why it hasn't expanded? LTSS sure is a well-kept secret, Shaw barely mentions it on their website. http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143941

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Shaw Direct's LTSS is not really a solution but more of a short term band-aid. The program already expired last November and was extended for another year so there's a good chance it won't be available anymore in 2014.

It's a shame that the CBC, a public broadcaster, is piggybacking on a commercial enterprise's tangible benefits program (for the acquisition of Global) instead of investing more to make their service freely available to all Canadians from coast to coast.

Understandably, it is almost impossible to fully cover our vast country with digital OTA coverage which is why a channel on FTA satellite is the next best thing. Most countries around the world have their public broadcasters available on FTA satellite, why not Canada?

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Hi I have free to air I need Canadian channels what I have to do thanks
Available Canadian FTA satellite channels are listed on our continuously updated channels database at http://channels.drsat.ca/channels.cfm?countryid=1&sourceid=6

Please note that most Canadian FTA satellite channels are on C-band so a 1.8m dish (6 ft.) or larger satellite dish is required. Out of all the satellites, Anik F1R @ 107W C-band carries the most Canadian channels so if you simply want to aim a fixed dish, this would be the satellite to aim at. However, a motorized dish would allow you to receive many more U.S. and International channels which you can see by browsing our database.

Oh and welcome to DigitalHome!

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is a great idea!

If the Dutch government can afford to have worldwide coverage of BVN TV "for the benefit of Dutch citizens living abroad" using 8 different satellites, I'm sure CBC can manage to find some space on one or more of the country's satellites.
No offence, but do you even realize how much dutch people are taxed? A lot more than Canadians.

With that being said, CBC is being paid by taxpayers money so I think it should be available freely on FTA in Canada after they shut down all the OTA towers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wheelman -- One of my friends that I have known for roughly thirty years, had a wonderful career at the CBC in Sales and Marketing / Advertising.

With all do respect, I am not sure that you completely understand the CBC's business model. Taxpayer money -- not really?

He predicted over three years ago that once CBC lost Hockey Night in Canada, that their business model which has survived as a quasi-public television station all of these years had to change.

For him, it was just a question of "when" not "if". I doubt very much that you will see the CBC on FTA in its current format.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too, was under the impression that CBC was publicly funded, even though it seems to act as if it doesn't need to be held accountable to said public for it's internal dealings.(FOIA denials) .
If not, then where do they actually get their finding??

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation
The financial structure and the nature of the CBC differs from other national broadcasters, such as the British broadcaster BBC, as the CBC employs commercial advertising to supplement its federal funding on its television broadcasts. The radio service employed commercials from its inception to 1974. Since then, its radio service, like the BBC, has been commercial-free. However, since the fall of 2013, CBC's FM Radio Networks Radio 2 and Espace Musique have introduced limited advertising amounting to 4 minutes an hour.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
So long as they import programming from, or air programming sold or with potential sales to the USA, they will not have a non-encrypted satellite broadcast free for Canadians themselves. That includes pro sports rights.

Once they drop NHL, Corrie, and Disney, likely they can consider it.

Simple as that, don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
One C-band transponder would be nice, many old C-band dishes are sitting unused on rural and small town settings where OTA doesn't reach. Sell a cheap receiver/dish combo with CA card for their services and no monthly sub charge like in Europe.

Customer responsible for setting up and maintenence... Can't get DBS installers to work on C-band, they would have no clue (would require re-training).

With rublings of CBC dropping their OTA services, there would be no less expensive way to distribute their signals directly to viewers across the country. Even cheaper if FTA, no encription required and more Canadian content.

The DBS providers here would fight this to the death though...

This would be an interesting business model for the commercial broadcasters as well.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Some people think that DBS providers should provide free basic TV to areas not served by OTA. The CRTC even made this a requirement for Shaw's acquisition of Global.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts