Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Back to the Topic ?

Before the invention of the automobile - man traveled by horse and cart. Before the invention of the internet and email, man communicated by fax, before fax it was phone, before phone it was the telegragh, and before telegragh it was messenger ponies.

My point is tech advancements occur and will continue to occur - So why would the CBC, CTV, Global place money in and maintaining OTA transmission towers when Digital Satellite transmission is far easilier and and cheaper to maintain and easier to deliver to all canadians ?

Second there was a time when TV stations delivered programming and generated their revenue from the commercials that were on their stations ? This has not changed - just the way that signal is delivered has changed or has not changed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
classicsat said:
AFAIK, the CBC alrerady has trasnponders on F1 and F2 Ku, at least one active on Starchoice. It wouldn't be too hard to put some national free feeds there. Of course, you'd need a DCII receiver, and you cannot get many of those, and their locked down. I'd like to see a genuine DVB-FTA system where we could use any reciever or DVB-PCI tuner card.
I remember the good ol' days when I could pick up a full bandwidth, analog NTSC (for those unfamiliar, the term "DVD quality" would be a close approximation) CBC feed from Anik E1 using my 10' C-Band dish. Hockey Night in Canada and Blue Jays baseball never looked so good!

Unfortunately, the digital age came and stomped that when they moved to an encrypted DVB signal :(

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
My point is tech advancements occur and will continue to occur - So why would the CBC, CTV, Global place money in and maintaining OTA transmission towers when Digital Satellite transmission is far easilier and and cheaper to maintain and easier to deliver to all canadians ?
The deal is those satellite feeds do not belong to the respective stations or networks, but are the private property of the pay TV service transmitting them. That fact is the basis of jrose's concerns, and to a certain degree mine (I too would like to receive Canadian network stations for free on satellite, quite possibly in HD, but I know the facts of the matter).

For things to change, the broadcasters need to take over the satellite distribution of their stations, and come up with a reasonable scheme to make them available on the same or similar basis they would as if they were terrestrial broadcasting.

As to why to keep or even improve the terrestrial broadcast network, they'd do that keep viewers that don't want to pay for satellite or cable, and and possibly keep Canadians from viewing US OTA in HD, not to mention maintaining a system for the sake of simsubs.

Second there was a time when TV stations delivered programming and generated their revenue from the commercials that were on their stations ? This has not changed - just the way that signal is delivered has changed or has not changed.
It has not changed at all. The broadcast stations are still there to receive by antenna, for free.

If you are receiving your broadcast stations from a pay TV service, you are essentially receiving a private redistribution from that pay TV provider, not a public broadcast belonging to the broadcaster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
classicsat:"As to why to keep or even improve the terrestrial broadcast network, they'd do that keep viewers that don't want to pay for satellite or cable, and and possibly keep Canadians from viewing US OTA in HD, not to mention maintaining a system for the sake of simsubs."

Having Canadian OTA in HD does not keep Canadians from viewing US OTA in HD - It just gives them more choice. Unfortunately these US OTA channels are only available in those metropolitian border communities. The other 80% of canadians are stuck with 1 to 3 OTA Canadian channels where as the TV market of Toronto has 25 OTA channels. Shame that this type of TV vareity is not made available to all Canadians via FTA Ku Band satellite as a FTA setup is realitively inexpensive ?:confused:

·
Registered
371 Posts
How do you convince people they need a separate receiver for each TV? The same people for the past 50 years have been able to pull a signal down on any TV tuner using the antenna on their roof. The US is going through this right now with the DTV switchover. There are still many people who do not understand what's happening and will be surprised when the analog OTA is turned off in early '09.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Having Canadian OTA in HD does not keep Canadians from viewing US OTA in HD - It just gives them more choice.
If the choice is a fringe antenna, mast, amp and all those goods, vs a set-top rabbit ear antenna for the same programs basically, most people would choose the latter.

As for having the broadcasters broadcast their locals on satellite for free (not necessarily FTA though), although potentially cheap for the customer, it will cost the broadcasters, as they have to get satellite bandwidth, although working with the existing satellite companies something could get worked out. Anything would have to be universal though, as a TV viewer would have to be able to receive all their locals with one dish and receiver, and the receiver would have to be an "open market" thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
canadian channels

I have a 36" dish and a linier lnb and just looking for a couple of networks and a couple of canadian channels on ku band satellites can someone help me out I went to lyngsat but I've been trying but linier is tough to tune unless I need a lnb for c band.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not much for Canadian content up there, few feeds here and there on c-band but they are 4:2:2. You would be best off with OTA for local stuff and satellite for everything else.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Except for some ethnic channels on G19, some which originate in Canada, there are no Canadian channels FTA on Ku; they are all pay on Bell and Shaw's satellite services.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With CBC announcing the shutdown of all Analog Transmitters as of July 31, 2012, now might be a good time to campaign for CBC to be offered FTA.

·
Registered
885 Posts
With CBC announcing the shutdown of all Analog Transmitters as of July 31, 2012, now might be a good time to campaign for CBC to be offered FTA.
Save your energy and just tune in OTA. The digital OTA transmissions are superior to analogue and they are free too just like FTA.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
OTAFred, CBC is available FTA now, no need to campaign. To take full advantage, just install a CBAND dish and get a new digital FTA receiver and your all set with 5 time zones of CBC (and more).

Cyberham, I think he's in rural Nova Scotia with no Digital OTA available.
Prime candidate for a CBAND antenna if ya ask me. Being rural NS, space should not be a problem.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OTAFred, CBC is available FTA now, no need to campaign. To take full advantage, just install a CBAND dish and get a new digital FTA receiver and your all set with 5 time zones of CBC.

Cyberham, I think he's in rural Nova Scotia with no Digital OTA available.
Prime candidate for a CBAND antenna if ya ask me. Being rural NS, space should not be a problem.
tvfool says that OTAFred down the valley can get digital Global and CTV OTA if he has a tower with outdoor antenna. I agree since he is rural, C-band is his best option unlike city folk who normally could not install a big dish.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ya cbc is free right now hope it stays this way, Canadian's and others in usa and South america have been waiting for this for years, ever since they took off there analog station that use to be free like what... 20 years ago?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is CBC still available C Band, some Channel lists I see show it, others don't. I see on LyngSat it's listed, it's why I want an FTA Receiver and decent C Band dish if it's available, anyone pick it up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's the exact reason why I've been scrounging around for a C Band Dish to pick up Anik F1R and then a motor later to get other satellites, but first, Anik F1R :p. I want to get CBC, and even better, to have it in HD is a plus. I also notice Weather Network is on that, and even though I feel they advertise more then forecast weather that would be nice too :p.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still don't get this argument. why bother setting up a sattilite dish for CBC when you can use a set of rabbit ears to get it?
And just what privleged part of Canada do you live in...........Don't make assumptions that everyone can receive what you do because this is a big country and you obviously live in a very very very small part of it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
And just what privleged part of Canada do you live in...........Don't make assumptions that everyone can receive what you do because this is a big country and you obviously live in a very very very small part of it.:rolleyes:
That was posted back in 2008 by the looks of it, things have changed a lot since then. No digital OTA here so I watch CBC on my BUD. :D

41 - 60 of 94 Posts