Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are approximately 300 FTA channels available on the varies Sats - However the amount of Canadian channels I can count on 1 hand. With the amount of Our Tax Dollars being pumped into the CBC it would be only logical to think that Canadians have the right to have CBC channels Free-To-Air like that of PBS in the USA. Is this not a reasonable request ?

Perhaps a on-line petition should be started - if one does not exist ?

And Please - Don't tell me to start one !

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
CBC is available on OTA...
I don't know if I would want to subsidize CBC so they could broadcast an FTA channel, as it is already availalbe from EVERY provider, and OTA. The number of people this would benefit would be so small, I can't see it being worthwhile.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not sure why they encrypted all there distribution, it was cool back in the analog days when it was all free. Now it does not really matter though, because CBC distribution uses Trellis 8PSK and you need probably around a 4.5 or 5 meter c-band dish to receive, larger being better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My point is that yours and my tax dollars already subsidize the CBC. Should it not be available to all canadians - (all CBC broadcast stations across Canada as well as newsworld) - we are paying for it anyway. And I am talking about a Ku Band transmission so it would be a little more accessible !

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
My point is that yours and my tax dollars already subsidize the CBC. Should it not be available to all canadians - (all CBC broadcast stations across Canada as well as newsworld) - we are paying for it anyway. And I am talking about a Ku Band transmission so it would be a little more accessible !
What percentage of Canadians have KU band dishes?
10 thousand ? If that?
I don't know if it would cost more to make it accessible to all Canadians via KU band dishes, and if it would cost more money, I sure don't want to subsidize it, as it will only benefit a tiny % of the population.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Most large broadcasters in North America use C-band for distribution as for rain fade and other issues that cause problems with ku and ka band, I don't see switching to ku transmission being that good for them or the receive sites.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What percentage of Canadians have KU band dishes?
10 thousand ? If that?
I don't know if it would cost more to make it accessible to all Canadians via KU band dishes, and if it would cost more money, I sure don't want to subsidize it, as it will only benefit a tiny % of the population.
If there is no or very little canadian content in FTA - what kind of viable alternative option is there to the Large cable and satellite companies ? OTA is not an option in areas where there is only 2 or 3 TV stations ? I'm looking for discussion that can further the Canadian FTA world - Right now it is almost non-existent ? Yes it exists only because of our American Freinds. FTA and OTA are the only non-subscriber option and OTA is very limited. If there was more choice - I think the percentage of Ku Band Dishes would increase as people see it as that alternative !

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've asked the question before and the issue seems to be that CBC does not carry just Canadian programming but also commercial programs for which other stations may have obtained broadcast rights in certain areas. For CBC to carry a FTA channel they would have to get rid of those programs (which also generate decent ad revenue) and offer exclusive CBC content.

PBS gets away with their FTA presence because all their shows are PBS-based in one form or another.

Having said that there is some Canadian FTA on C-band specifically The Weather Network and some ASN (sp?) channels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx mr weather for your reply - your explanation makes sense - however not too many canadians are going to jump out and get a 6 to 10 foot dish for a couple channels on C Band. If their were more choice on Ku Band more canadians may consider a 3 foot dish as an alternatetive to the establishment. The CRTC seems to like to regulate everything - yet they offer no guidence with canadian content when it comes to FTA ? Newsworld does not contain any foreign programming that I know of - as I see it it is all canadian like PBS is all US programming(mostly), so by that logic newsworld should be FTA ?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Fair enough but keep in mind some are C-band only and those listed as Digicipher 2 are not DVB and can only be received using Motorola equipment (a previously-activated Star Choice receiver, for example).

·
Registered
517 Posts
I still don't get this argument. why bother setting up a sattilite dish for CBC when you can use a set of rabbit ears to get it?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I guess it depends on if you want to watch a snowy picture or a clean crisp image from a Digital source.

Not everyone live in an area where CBC comes in strong on your "Rabbit Ears".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1 Billion Tax Dollars !

Yes that is 20 million dollars per week of Canadian taxes that go to fund the CBC. Yes we all pay for Newsworld twice - once for subscription and twice with the taxes we pay as Canadians. This figure does not include when say Health Canada pays an astronomical amount to advertise smoking increases the chance of getting cancer during the olympics ? What I am saying is the CBC is a public TV service and should be available to all canadians if we continue to pay for the CBC through our Tax Dollars. As a FTA enthusist - I would like it available on a Ku Band Sat. available to everyone, everywhere !

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that CBC and the like should be free to all canadians. But I don't think you should be forced to put up another dish to get these channels, they should be beamed down unscrambled form BellTV or Starchoice satellites. I'm sure either provider wouldn't mind putting up a dish for us for free viewing and then bombarding us to to get some of the "pay" channels.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Good lord, do you people not turn on your television.

CBC is free over the air to virtually ever household in Canada now and has been for 30 or 40 years!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That's not the point.

Given a choice between receiving a snowy, crappy analog CBC station in the middle of nowhere and a clear digital CBC station using a FTA receiver, I submit that most would choose the latter.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts