Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that hates the Canadian Channel overriding an American channel just because they happen to be showing the same show?

If I select channel 203 (Fox in BC) to watch a show, I don't want to see CTV just because they happen to be showing the same thing.

This is especially annoying, when you miss a portion of the next show, because they don't switch back to the original channel right away when the shows change.

So, is it just me, or does everyone feel like this?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
its regulated by the crtc... shaw is required to do it by regulation.

it is pretty lame though.... basically given the choice most people would probably put on the US channel. However the Canadian channels buy the Canadian rights, so to protect those rights and get their advertising dollars, they get simsubbed overtop.

I tend to just PVR the EST channels, as they don't seem to be simsubbed. Edmonton also doesn't have an OTA CTV HD channel yet.. so I don't run into ctv simsubbing.

It's always seemed like a waste of money to me, for Canadian channels to buy the rights to shows we already had access too.. why the CRTC feels the need to support it is beyond me.. but thats a whole other rant :)

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
As 57 noted, sim-subbing is discussed elsewhere in the forum. Please continue your discussions there. This thread will be closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.