Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In season 8 the show was using a brand new Camaro.... Did they actually purchase it so it can be destroyed on TV or was it acquired another way?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
They said they bought it brand new and will sell it at the end of the season
Its season 6 btw
Anyone else think drivers shouldn't graduate? On worst handy man they stay till the end. Should be the same on driver. Learn all the skills. Sending a driver home after 1 episode doesn't help them much

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Totally agree... it's terrifying to think of some of those drivers on the road. It would give more material from which to create the episodes and pick the worst. The elimination format is too prevalent if you ask me. But productions do sometimes like it as it can lower their effort and costs as the season goes on.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The scary thing is that we are only seeing a few people on each series, imagine how many hundreds did not get through the cut.

The quality of the drivers on this series is the worst so far, in my opinion.

I want to know who the Examiners were that allowed these people onto the roads....

The section on the last couple of episodes asking questions on road signs and normal procedures, ie; Yellow line down centre of the road, was frightening, they were clueless, with the exception of the biker from Collingwood.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
In the Web Extras, the host Andrew Younghusband pointed out that when they started the show at season 1, people were nominating their friends and family members just to embarrass them. But over the years, as the show built its reputation, people were nominating even worse drivers than the previous years!

Which is why the show was never renamed "Canada's Not-As-Bad-Than-The-Previous-Year's Driver." :p

The show really is downright scary at times. And I have to say, I might have already spotted a few drivers on the road that should be nominated for the show.

·
Registered
423 Posts
season 7 *not* in HD

So Discovery Channel (Canada) launched their HD service back in August of this year, yet new episodes of homegrown shows like Canada's Worst Driver are still being aired in lousy windowboxed format... arggg!!!! :mad:

Even the commercials/promos for the show are aired in their native HD format, ending with the "now available in hi-definition" Discovery Channel logo, but ironically this show is not being shown in HD!! What gives? I posted a critical, but reasonable comment on the show's website and among 1000+ other posts about show-specific discussion, mine was removed. It's not as though this is a temporary master control switching mistake; the season premiere and all its subsequent repeats were not aired in full-screen HD, and the same goes for episode two.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I don't have cable, so I can't really tell. I can only watch new episodes a week later on their Web site. But if that's how they're presenting the show on their own channel, what a huge disappointment and a complete waste of resources.

BTW, I also tried to post a couple of comments on their comments page, one of them praising Aaron's participation. Neither comment showed up. Guess the show is only meant to satisfy their CanCon requirements. I mean, you wouldn't deliberately ruin the presentation of a popular show AND alienate your fan base at the same time just because the show is Canadian, right?

Right?

·
Registered
577 Posts
We don't get Discovery HD yet, but already tonight it looks like they may have gotten their act together after most of the show got double windowboxed last week: the bug is closer to the middle, but the letterboxing is correct now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Another sign that Discovery Canada probably despises the show: in their on-line schedule, the American show titles all link to their own show page on Discovery Channel Canada's Web site, but not CWD despite having its own show page as well.

Discovery Channel Canada really hates Canada!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts