Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen with Canadian and US credit cards and addresses. I'm thinking about getting satellite radio.

Is there any downside to buying US Sirius/XM service instead of Canadian service? I'm guessing you can't listen online from Canada if you have a US account but I'm thinking the radios will still work.

Also, the standard question about whether I should get Sirius or XM. I like classic rock, classic soul and sports, mostly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sirius and XM have identical music so it really doesn't matter. Whether you go U.S. or Canada is simply your preference on pricing/packaging.

·
Registered
988 Posts
See the "how do I get a US subscription thread" for discussion on this.

The main programming difference is that with a US account you can get "best of" packages that let you get the most popular XM channels as a sirius subscriber and vice versa. My speculation, but with the annouced Canadian XM-Sirius merger (subject to approval) its just a matter of time until the same "best of" packages will also be available in Canada.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, there are some US channels not yet available in Canada, at least on XM, because XM's Canadian license requires them to have 10% Canadian channels, and there aren't yet enough Canadian channels to allow them to carry all of the US ones and still meet the threshold, I understand. Also, the US service is $2 a month cheaper with exchange rates at par.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is there any downside to buying US Sirius/XM service instead of Canadian service? I'm guessing you can't listen online from Canada if you have a US account but I'm thinking the radios will still work.

Also, the standard question about whether I should get Sirius or XM. I like classic rock, classic soul and sports, mostly.
You can listen to SXM online in Canada.

With SXM, you get a music package called 'More Music.' These are Clear Channel stations and have commercials, however, they're enjoyable (sometimes). Additionally, with SXM you get NPR Now, American Left and a few other ones you do not with XM Canada.

Another downside is that XM Canada will pre-empt more channels due to CRTC regulations. This has been a problem with pre-season baseball, etc.

Given your preferences, I`d say it`s a wash for you. See with which service you can get the best deal! CDN dollar is at par with the USD right now.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It appears to me that the opinions so far have been all negative for the Canadian service and all positive for the US service. The Sirius vs XM choice will be based on sports and specialty channels. The US only Sirius Best of XM package may be the best choice for sports fans. (A US purchased radio may also be required.) The US only Family Friendly package is also worth considering, especially if you have children. The US only A La Carte is probably the best deal if only a few channels are required and internet listening is not wanted.

music package called 'More Music.'
That's Mostly Music. It's not really a good deal considering the number of channels missing, including some music channels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're a CFL fan only Sirius Canada carries all the CFL games, but if you're an NFL and NHL fan then you would want Sirius with a best of XM sub.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you're a CFL fan only Sirius Canada carries all the CFL games, but if you're an NFL and NHL fan then you would want Sirius with a best of XM sub.
Just to clarify, Sirius Canada and Sirius USA BOTH carry CFL AND NFL as these are exclusive to Sirius. To get NHL on Sirius you need a US subscription with the best of XM package.

·
Registered
933 Posts
One other point only XM Canada and XM USA carry Major league baseball games. This is a deal breaker for a number of people. Even after the mergers due to MLB holding out for money to allow on Sirius platforms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are differences in programming availability. Not all US content works on Canadian subscritions. Also Internet Radio doesn't work for those people who want it to play on a Canadian Apple device. The Apple store has you registered as a Canadian and won't give you the software in response to a USA XM or Sirius account... Good old big brother CRTC; What would we do without them?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's easy to setup a US iTunes account and get the Sirius app.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have XM Canada in my Vehicle & Xm Radio on the Internet. It is set to expire Mar 1. I do have NHL and Major League Baseball. But I am interested in CFL and especially the NFL which are Both NOT available on XM. Last year I asked the XM rep why Football was not on XM and she said USA games are not available in Canada?? Are Both CFL & NFL games available on Sirius Canada, or is there an extra charge for these football networks?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes both CFL/NFL are available on Sirius Canada. Please keep in mind that both Canadian services are well along there way to merging so I would expect that CFL/NFL will be available on XM Canada in the next few months.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That would be great because I just found out that my Vehicle is only set up for Xm unless I get some kind of adapter to convert it to Sirius. So I guess I'll try to work out a deal for 6 months to 1 year for Xm.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Since the U.S. programming is still separate in the U.S., there is no reason to believe that you will get combined programming in Canada. The channels available on XM and Sirius US, while containing a lot of overlap, are still specific to either XM or US.

The channels would likely be identical only when and if they migrate to one set of satellites; hence, the likelihood that the XM platform will eventually be the only one used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well it sure would be great if there was some kind of merging of the Channels between the two so that those of us that want Football on Xm can get it. I spoke with an XM rep today re my expiring susscription and he had no idea what the result would be. I guess first we need to find out if CRTC will even approve it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm not sure what to do. I have XM Canada. I bought a Myfi so I can listen to it in the car,office and home. I also have Sirius Canada in my truck. The free subscription will end soon. My XM sub also ends early next month. I like MLB and NHL and Stern. What can I do to keep all three of these? Can the MYfi get Sirius if I get a US sub? I'm confused.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey Doug,
You would be best to switch your mifi subscription to the US service (XM side). Sub to xm plus the best of sirius. It will give you MLB, NHL and Howard. The downside is that you will have to use your mifi in your truck instead of the factory sirius radio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts