Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if I still would be able to use my VCR's to record programs? If not, hopefully I still would be able to play the VCR tapes that I have pre recorded. This is why I haven't switched from Shaw, so much to consider.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, many people do, although VCRs aren't HD, so if you try to record an HD channel you'll get a letterboxed SD image. Just connect the coax output jack of the STB to the "in" of your VCR, and connect the "out" of your VCR to your TV. If you have an HDTV, you'll need to switch between the HD inputs and the VCR inputs when you want to watch a videotape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more question, can I record a different program to what I am watching.

Thanks for the info 16s1. One more question, say I have a 430 PVR recording 3 shows, I am watching one show, and can I use the VCR to record another at the same time? Not that it happens too often but sometimes there are more than 4 shows on at the same time that I want to record. I would use the VCR to record non HD channels.

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
You can connect your VCR directly to one of your TV inputs to play your existing tapes. There is no advantage to using your VCR for recording unless you want to transfer a program to tape for long-term storage or portability. In that case the VCR will record whatever is playing on that particular STB.

The number of streams or channels that you can receive at once can be 1HD/2SD, 2HD/1SD or 3HD/1SD depending on your line speed. You can check your availability by putting your Telus phone number or address into the Telus web site or calling Telus. The 430 PVR is capable of recording up to 4 channels at once if your line supports that many. Watching previously recorded programs don't count against the number of streams you receive.

If there are more programs on at once than your line supports, you can usually reschedule some recordings by using time-shifting on the networks or repeats on the specialty channels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
VCR timer?

This old thread says Telus digital boxes have a VCR timer, as in changing the active channel automatically: [Link to this thread removed]

Can you guys confirm -- is a VCR timer available on Telus' recent non-PVR digital box, or the PVR, or both?

Secondly, is the component video output active (with HD video) when the VCR timer is being used?

That would be a great feature for PC recording.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
None of the Telus boxes have a VCR timer. You can buy a Telus PVR on sale for the same price as a STB (under $100), so that's really the way to go.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138082&page=4

A Hauppauge Colossus card or HD-DVR are about the only devices that can record HD from component and they cost more than a Telus PVR.

All the outputs on the Telus boxes are simultaneously active.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh I misread this thread -- the older Telus IP 1100 box have a VCR timer according to the online manual.

Without a VCR timer or firewire, the Hauppauge products require an IR blaster which I read is very unreliable. Does anyone have expertise on getting the IR blaster to work well with Telus?

The sale on the PVR seems to be from last month.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to use a Telus PVR?

If you don't want to wait for the next sale, you can buy the PVR for $150 at the electronics stores compared to $100 for the STB. Or you could sign a 3 year contract with Telus and get free rental for a PVR and 2 additional STBs. The Telus PVR also allows "PVR Anywhere" with the STBs.

If you still want to use a PC, I haven't seen anything specifically for Telus, but I have seen that Colossus works for AT&T U-verse which uses the same hardware and software as Telus. Using an IR blaster isn't as reliable as using a integrated PVR, but it works fairly well. One issue that you have to watch out for is that the STB goes into standby after several hours without activity from the remote (not sure if it's 4, 6 or 8 hours).

We also have these threads:

Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR
Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, my main need is archival. Videos recorded on proprietary PVRs are encrypted and can't be edited or moved easily to a file server.

When you used the IR blaster, what percent of times did it fail? I am aware that it can be a challenge to get it working consistently, that's why I've been trying to avoid it. With analog channels, TV tuners work highly reliably.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Analog channels on cable TV are becoming irrelevant, with cable companies switching a lot of standard definition channels to digital and HD being digital by definition.

I haven't used an IR blaster for many years and it wasn't with this hardware, but it was pretty reliable with an occasional failure.

BTW I saw a post in the deals thread that the PVR is on sale this weekend for $90. You can pick one up for day-to-day viewing and it would cost about the same as a STB that you would need anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Telus PVR and VCR firmware changes

I recently tried recording a program to my VCR and it didn't work, as it usually did. Called their tech support and they say that they have done a firmware change that detects those kind of things like DVDR and VCR and won't allow recording to happen. Has anyone heard anything about this?

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
It is possible that they now allow for CGMS-a which precludes recording of downstream analogue signals. It's discussed in the following thread and the workaround is also mentioned there. I have heard of this affecting DVD recorders, but not VCRs since they typically utilized Macrovision, which is different.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

I assume you're properly connected per the link in post 5. You can usually test your connections by not recording, but simply "tuning" to the correct channel/input on the VCR, switching to "VCR", not TV (on the VCR) and viewing what's coming into the VCR via the VCR output connected to the properly tuned input on the TV.

When you're saying it didn't work, what were you actually seeing on the TV screen? Was there a notice regarding the fact that you can't record? Was there anything? Was there any audio? My guess is that you're not properly connected or tuned to the proper input or channel on the VCR. You need to be on channel 3 for RF-coax input or some "input" - like input 1 if using S-video or composite video.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts