Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a y-cable to allow two headphones to be connected to an iPad. Can I split it again and use another y-cable to create a three way split? Will the volume be ok?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It probably could be done, but the volume level would definitely suffer.

When using one Y-cable it would cut the volume by half, and another one would cut it in half again (so a quarter of the initial volume).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That would depend on the impedance of the iPad output and the impedance of the headphones. It can be shown that the volume on each headset would remain almost unchanged, act as described or that adding extra headphones could cause a drastic drop in volume, depending of the impedances involved. Having the volume drop by exactly 1/2 or 1/3 with 2 or 3 headphones would be an unusual situation. It's also possible that driving 3 sets of headphones would damage the iPad.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a Belkin 5-way audio splitter that is intended to allow up to 5 people to listen to the same iPod. I hooked it up to the iPad and connected three headphones. They all sounded good. I couldn't tell if there was any loss of volume, but I could do an experiment removing one headphone at a time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes you can without much lose , i have taken y splitters and split an audio signal to four different amps. the problem lies more with Video signal you can only split the analog source only once after that the signal curve drops rapidly that is when you go out a purchase a decent audio video distribution that is active , great product CE LABS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts