Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I signed up for HD I get CTV, CBC both Toronto. I live much closer to Ottawa and in order to watch their news and programming I have to switch down and off HD. I'm also a fan of the Senators and would much prefer to watch them in HD as well.
While I'm on here what to heck is Shaw doing with the NHL package I'm always getting Sportsnt on the HD instead of NHL hockey. I'm pretty sure more games where in HD than they were showing, if I wanted to watch baseball I would switch down to their regular channels on don't need on 8 different channels.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
There are only CBC and CTV Toronto in HD on Shaw. So, I would suggest you get an antenna for your regional stations and watch them in OTA digital.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Some of the Center Ice channels are just remapped Sportsnet regional channels so on those channels you will always just see what is showing on the regional channel. So while it looks like there are many Center Ice HD channels to use there isn't really.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So everybody who has Shaw Direct in Canada wants get CBC, CTV and now Global in HD has to watch Toronto programming? That sure doesn't right I wonder what Bell offer in HD programming?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So everybody who has Shaw Direct in Canada wants get CBC, CTV and now Global in HD has to watch Toronto programming?
Yep.

That sure doesn't right I wonder what Bell offer in HD programming?
Bell has CBC HD from Montréal, Toronto and Vancouver; SRC HD from Montréal and Ottawa; CTV HD from Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver; & Global HD from Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That's the way it is. Bell has the Vancouver feeds and a few others. I don't think they have CTV Ottawa HD.
Bandwidth is too precious to devote it to HD timeshifting.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think that the figuring is that most shows that people watch on CTV and Global are US shows and so if you want timeshifting you can watch them on the US nets. The expception being local news and most people who want that can recieve the channel OTA.

I wish that CBC Vancouver was carried for OTA timeshifting and maybe Citytv HD, but otherwise I don't really care if Shaw Direct adds in anymore Canadian OTA HD channels.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm posting here as same problem last night went to NHL center ice package planning on watching the Canadiens & Coyotes. Went to the channel where it was supposed to be, but something about being blocked in our area. Knowing my next door neighbour has a Bell dish and the NHL packeage phone him, he said no problem getting it at his place come on over. The beer was good, but the game was pond hockey but at least he could get it I never did find it on Shaw Direct. I'm not sure Shaw and I are going to be long term with the way things are going at the present.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All Habs games are on RDSHD(240). With enough beer you will forget it's in French! Not sure in which English pkg its included though...

·
Registered
59 Posts
A game on NHL Center Ice will be blacked out if you are within the viewing area. The English broadcasting of the Canadiens games are on a TSN alternate channel. Bell is currently the only provider who has access to this channel. No word yet on whether it will be available on Shaw Direct. The games will continue to be broadcasted in French on RDS.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just FYI, I watched the Habs game last night on the first NHL HD channel (431 on the advanced list) and I am in southern Ontario with the NHLCI package.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just FYI, I watched the Habs game last night on the first NHL HD channel (431 on the advanced list) and I am in southern Ontario with the NHLCI package.
That is correct. You can watch games outside of your viewing area with the NHL-CI package. Anyone within the Canadiens viewing area will not be able to watch these games on NHL-CI. They are available on RDS.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That is correct. You can watch games outside of your viewing area with the NHL-CI package. Anyone within the Canadiens viewing area will not be able to watch these games on NHL-CI. They are available on RDS.

That's just great for people who do not speak french...:confused:

If you have an english speaking package there should be an exception to get he english feed IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts