Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking around for a store that sells Philips DVD Recorders and have not been able to find any. I'd like to buy in Canada and preferably in Vancouver. I want to avoid the US due to warranty issues. I know that BestBuy US sells them, but unfortunately BestBuy Canada does not. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I don't know if you just look for Philips but Radio Shack does have a few for sale. Pioneers come to mind....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danster said:
I don't know if you just look for Philips but Radio Shack does have a few for sale. Pioneers come to mind....
Yeah, I'm looking specifically for Philips DVD recorders, not Pioneer.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I brought one home from Costco in the summertime - worked reasonably well. Can't remember the model number, but I do remember it was a Philips. Took it back, though - Series1 TiVo much easier to use.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I dropped by Costco today and there was no Philips DVD recorder. So if anyone knows where you can buy one (new of course) in Canada, I'd like to know. (I'm most interested in picking one up locally in Vancouver.)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I saw it at the Costco just off Grandview highway in Vancouver, and I think the one I "bought" was at the Costco in Nanaimo.

That being said, though, I can't remember seeing these in stock recently. Ask customer service to look it up for you - they can check warehouse inventory all across the US and Canada from a terminal (I had them looking for an ipod for me early last year to see if anyone had them).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stay away from Philips DVD Recorders

If I were you I would stay away from buying a Philips DVD Recorder.
I bought one and it was bad, it didn't want to record on the disks.
Tried several different types of disks and took it in for service and it had to be replaced.
I know somebody else who bought two of them,
both were different models and they both went bad within a one year period.
He ended up buying a Sony with the Hard Drive and component inputs.
I bought the Sony one as well and have absolutely no problems with it.

I also know one of my other friends bought one of the Panasonic recorders with the hard drive and after he had it six months it would fail the recording near the end of a long recording. He also ended up buying a Sony.

Just my opinion stay away from Philips recorders.

Best of Luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Stimpsonjcat

·
Registered
575 Posts
Philips' Canadian distribution isn't great.

I know that Visions electronics carries Philips stuff, so you may wish to give them a call (visions.ca). Mind you, I get the heebie-jeebies whenever I walk into one of their stores...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best Buy carries some. You can get them at www.bestbuy.ca if there's no location in your area.

I know they carried a basic Philips model and a model with an 80GB HD for PVR ability.

I recently purchased a Philips HDRW720 DVD recorder w/PVR and I love it. It has it's quirks, but overall I really enjoy having it. I got mine in the USA though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts