Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Rogers digital cable, and am wondering if I have to keep paying rent on their old STB or can I buy a STB of my own from eBay and use it with their cable connection?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes you can!

You can buy the boxes straight from rogers, or 3rd party sources. As well, you can buy them USED.

just make sure they are a box that is usable in your area. (IE out east they use different ones that in Ontario, etc).

The BIGEST thing to watch out for, when getting one used.. is to make sure that it is NOT registered to an account currently.. that they were DE registered.
If it is still registered to an account, you will not be able to register it to yours.
(also as well, I have seen people who have LEFT from rogers without removing them first, then even though the account is closed, those boxes are still tied with it)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Check out the third option: rent to own. You rent-to-own for 36 months, after which time you can purchase the box for $1. And the rent-to-own fee is *lower* than the rental fee. And in some cases the total cost (36 x monthly fee) is lower than the cost to purchase outright.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Without knowing the box..

I know there were sale times when say bestbuy sold the SD boxes for around $50..

Some 3rd party shops sold rogers boxes as well.. Zellers, etc. I saw new 8300s going for $100 there when they were closing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.