Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people are telling me if you switch to Shaw home phone. You can port your home number to Shaw.

After few months, people want to port their number to other service provider. Shaw rejects the request. The phone number will stay to Shaw forever.

Those people are warming me and recommand me that don't switch to Shaw home phone.

Anyone has the same thing happened to you?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have friends who ported to Shaw, and 6 months later, they ported their number out to another provider. It is the law to allow porting, Shaw can't refuse to port your number to a valid Cell phone or landline provider. I do think you have to be still in the same calling area. So if you moved out of your calling area, I don't think you would be allowed to port your number.

From what I understand, if you port your number to Shaw, then leave Shaw and drop your number. Shaw has to give it back to the original provider. I don't think they keep it. But I could be wrong

·
Registered
24 Posts
It may be the "law" but Shaw does everything within its power to make it extremely slow and difficult to release the number.

I recently switched from Shaw to Telus and was unable to port my number over. I have an associate at work who had the same problem and he too was unable to port the number in a timely manner.

In my case I advised Shaw one month before terminating my services with them that I required the number to be ported. I was advised that Shaw's policy was that they need a minimum of 10 days in order for the port request to be completed. I figured one month would be enough time to ensure a smooth transition of services. I contacted Telus and had the installation appointment arranged and advised them that I wanted to port my number from Shaw and that Shaw was aware that they needed to release the number. Telus arranged for the port over and everything was fine, so I thought.

2 days before the install Telus called and said they were unable to obtain the number from Shaw. Telus was advised that there was a pending work order on my Shaw account commencing on the date of termination and that they would not be able to release the number to Telus until the work order was complete. I contacted Shaw to inquire what was going on as I had contacted them 3 weeks earlier to ensure I would be able to port the number. They again told me that they needed 10 days to port the number. I told them they had more than 10 days as I had contacted them at least 3 weeks earlier which is at least 15 business days. They stated that there was a work order scheduled on my account and until the work order was complete they were unable to release the number to Telus. I told them that it didn't make sense that there was a "work order" on an account that was no longer active and they acknowledged that the account was being terminated however, their "system" still had a work order in place. I asked what the work order was for and after 25 minutes they told me that it was to terminate the account. I then asked what type of "work" was invloved in closing an account and they did not have an answer.

So with 2 days before I lose Shaw service and Telus is supposed to install I am advised I will be without a land line for at least 10 days due to a work order on an account that is no longer active. I tried to escalate it with Shaw but each of the supervisors/managers was less helpful than the last. Finally, I was exasperated and I simply changed my number.

Telus was excellent throughout the whole situation and as soon as they found out Shaw was playing games (apparently this is fairly common when people switch from Shaw to Teuls) they obtained a number which was only 1 digit off from the number I was trying to port over.

I had been a loyal Shaw customer for the better part of a decade and never had issues however, the last year with them and particularily the last 2 months was an absolute joke and I will do everything in my power not to give them my business again.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
One should not contact the existing provider to port a number. The new provider is responsible for porting the number and in a timely manner. Here's a thread on the new regs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138090

Even before the new regs, it was always advisable not to contact the existing provider with many people porting their numbers (if allowed by area code) using this proven technique. The new regs have put a time limit on the change and now include TV into the mix, although STBs and cancellation charges can certainly make this more complex, but in this thread we're discussing porting numbers only, which should be straight forward.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Recently, I found out that Shaw has a rule that there is only one work order outstanding at a given time.

I purchased a PVR from a Shaw customer living in a Condo building. He told Shaw that he sold the PVR to me. When I called Shaw to activate the PVR on my account. The Shaw rep said he cannot remove the PVR from the seller account because there is an order already on that account to disconnect the cable service a few days later. The Shaw rep needs to create an order to remove the PVR from that account. The Shaw rep told me I have to call back a few days later to activate the PVR on my account. I called the seller to phone Shaw to remove the cancel order so that I can get the PVR out of the seller account. Then, the seller put back the cancel order.

When you called 30 days earlier, Shaw put an order on your account. When Telus is processing the port out, Shaw cannot create an order to port your number out because of the one order rule.

For Shaw, if you want your old phone number, don't tell Shaw and pay an extra month of service that you cannot use.

[A bit off topic]Some, not all provider, allows the customer to put a 30 days port out notes on the account. Bell Mobility allows their customer to put the port out notice. When I port my Bell number to Rogers in February, I don't have to pay 30 days service that I cannot use.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
When a customer calls in to me I advise them NOT to contact their existing provider as often if they do a disconnect order is placed on the account. Due to this disconnect order no new orders can be placed on the account which includes porting the number out to another provider. Telus, Shaw and many other companies have this same process in place. I always tell my customer we will take care of letting the other provider know you are porting and do not call them as it can delay the port. Unfortunately this can happen with most companies.

·
Shaw Employee
18 Posts
Shaw will not deny a port out request. The only way you will get denied is if you move to a different exchange.

For instance you are moving from Calgary to Edmonton and you have a NPA/NXX 403-201. This belongs to the Calgary rate centre and so of course you will need a new number when moving.

The only other way the port would be rejected is if we confirm the port and the other provider you are porting to does not port it within the allotted time frame in which it is confirmed and then the number is disconnected on our end. They would then have to make the request again and it would of course be rejected since the number is not longer active.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This might be better suited for the TELUS forum, but you guys seem to be experts on the subject. I just signed up for a TELUS home phone on Saturday, and I now want to port the number over to my existing Shaw home phone. Is there a minimum amount of time I need to wait before porting the TELUS number to Shaw? I'm sure there isn't, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I doubt it, unless Telus has you on a contract. Even then, you can probably port the number by breaking your contract and paying the penalty fee. However, keep in mind that Shaw will require that you have a copy of your Telus bill handy in order to port your number. If Telus hasn't billed you yet, you might need to wait until they do. Also, porting your phone number from Telus will cancel your existing Telus phone, and you'd also lose your existing Shaw phone number unless you're signing up for an Additional Line ($9.95) or possibly Distinctive Ring ($3.95)

·
Registered
187 Posts
^Thank you. There's no contract. And I'm okay with the TELUS line canceling, and with losing my Shaw number. I did not realize that I needed an invoice though. I assumed having the account number, address, and phone number would suffice.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@Seaners if you want to port a number to Shaw then just call up. Ports take minimum of 2 days (but depend on when we are booking too) and Shaw will take care of cancelling with your current provider. Shaw would just need to verfiy the phone number, company with, any listing requests (such as if you want to be in the phone book or not), any feature requests, any additional persons who can make changes, address of where service is located.

Telus doesn't put people in a contract for home phone service. Usually one would get billed for 30 days after the disconnect with them though plus any other charges up until the port is complete.

·
Registered
187 Posts
^Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected/expected I would have to pay for an additional 30 days of service after the port, so that's fine. It's only $15/month anyway. The only reason I signed up for TELUS was to get a local 604 number so I could port it out. Shaw only has 778 area codes, and I didn't want that. $15-30 is a cheap price to pay to get a desirable number.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I find that interesting that Shaw doesn't have 604 numbers. I signed up for a free VOIP phone number earlier this month (sort of a Canadian version of Google Voice) and after rejecting two 778 choices I got a 604 number.

·
Registered
187 Posts
^Well a VOIP number doesn't necessarily have to be local (neither does a cell phone). For example, my cell phone is a Vancouver number, but I live in Cloverdale. That's fine with a cell phone, as my area is still local to Vancouver. But with a land-line I believe you have to have a local prefix (for example Cloverdale is 576, 574 and a few others in that range). I don't think I could port my Vancouver cell number or my Vancouver VOIP number to my Shaw home phone line (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Regardless, it appears that Shaw does have 604-579-xxxx though. Maybe they're all out of those numbers (or they were misinformed when they told me there were none):

http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac604.htm

Shaw seems to have lots of prefixes in the 778 area code though:
http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac604.htm

·
Shaw Employee
18 Posts
When I get back to work Friday I can check our database for 604-579 to see if any are available. You are correct in that you can't port your cell numbers to Shaw unless it belongs to that specific rate center. You can however port from Shaw to a cell number no matter what the rate center.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I called Shaw to port my TELUS line over.

-Call placed September 5th
-Agent confirmed port would be complete September 12th
-September 14th - port not done. Called only to be told it was in the works
-September 17th - called TELUS - they have no record of a port-out request
-September 18th - called Shaw - they said they would have to call porting department on Monday, but that it should be done soon
-September 27th - still not complete. Called Shaw, said they would do it today.

So 22 days later, and about 8 hours of waiting on hold, the port is finally done. Is it really this difficult? I gave them all the info they requested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts