Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased a small cottage and it has an antenna but previous owners didn't use it and cut the wire as it entered the house. From the picture of the antenna and the wire, can I use it? What would I need to make it work to maximum potential?

Any help would be great. Thank you!
20201010_122009.jpg
20201010_121900.jpg
20201010_121952.jpg

·
Super Moderator
56,768 Posts
Please read the following OTA welcome thread and post your TVFool or similar results.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Supreme you need to post your location to see whether your within range of any transmitters.Any TV antenna will work for HD broadcast.Use rabbitears website tv signal search and post result.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Any antenna will work for HD. However, that antenna looks like it needs to be taken down before the mast collapses and causes damage. The top part of the mast should be discarded. I would either just use the bottom section of mast or replace the top section (if needed) and secure it with guy-wires. The wiring most likely needs replacing. I would use RG6 coax with a balun and/or preamp. The antenna itself looks in good shape but closer inspection is required. Depending on available stations, there may be better antennas available.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That top short section of mast should be replaced. I suspect the height is needed to clear surrounding trees.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
It looks like some sort of coupling was used to join the masts and it is too weak. Extending masts is usually done by sliding a slightly smaller mast inside the other. In any event, care must be used with masts because they will buckle under high winds or ice if they are too long. They may also provide unreliable signals if they sway in the wind.

·
Administrator
467 Posts
You can use anything to get HD OTA signals if you're close enough but as others have said, that mast looks like an accident waiting to happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts