Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Faxing with VoIP.ms

How reliable is VoiP.ms? Primus TBB recently almost never receives faxes on my phone line in Ottawa. Sending mostly still works. Vonage mostly OK in or out. This after many hours of talking to both Tech Supports & to Canon & Brother fax all-in-one call-centres. Vonage gave the most useful & accurate tips, and phd back on time to check how I was doing.

Bell was also unreliable, often gave "poor line condition". Tech support & billing service both lousy. I'll never use Bell in any form again, not even for new Palm 3 smart-phone.

I have signed up with MyFax.com, Ottawa-designed and supported fax service, rated best by one survey. Rate is a decent clean $10 a month.

(I dislike & avoid any dumb, insulting & inconvenient $xx.99 rates, on purchases & at restaurants. I would prefer VoIP.ms incoming toll-free rate to be 3c even & not the dumb, insulting & inconvenient 2.9c!).

VoIP.ms & MyFax.com could get together!

FeinDenz

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have problems sending fax over VOIP lines but incoming seems to work fine. My VOIP provider does not support faxing but try to change some settings on your VOIP adapter and chances are it might work...
On the contrary, sending for me (on Primus VOIP/ TBB) is a non-issue and I've used it quite few times since I got Primus TBB, receiving however, has NEVER worked for me...

I used to think the Canon MFC I'm using has an issue but I don't think that is the case...

Anyone know of a dedicated VOIP Faxing thread? I searched but couldn't find...

TIA!

·
Registered
877 Posts
FeinDenz, how has your MyFax service been working lately? I stopped using them shortly after the takeover by j2 and haven't heard anything about them since. Hopefully no news is good news.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using PamFax (pink site) it is pretty good. I believe it was about $65/y or something like that. I think it is a good idea to have different providers for the voip and fax.
I am too using voip.ms

·
Registered
497 Posts
For me lower the baud rate on the fax machine to 9600. That solved my issues. i can send and receive no problem on voip.ms.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since this thread has been revived, I'll say that over the years, I've gone from eFax to Callwave to OneSuite for incoming faxing.

eFax is still some crazy price (and even crazier in Canada than US) while OneSuite is $1/mo for unlimited incoming. I have two accounts with them, my original with a US fax # and later we signed up for another account primarily to add a Canadian fax #, which has proved really helpful with places that won't dial long distance. We also found 3 zipdial (?) numbers simply wasn't enough, so we have 5-6 mobile and landline numbers spread across the two accounts for outgoing LD. We've even used it occasionally with our Primus TBB unlimited-NA line, to make calls overseas for less than TBB prices.

OneSuite is a prepaid service with a U$10 minimum. That's enough for almost a year of faxing if you don't make any LD calls, and the monthly fax charge keeps the account alive (needs some activity every 6 mos).

=aw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help!?!

Hello,

I have been trying for some time now to get faxes to send using T.38 codec and G711/G729, and have had nothing but a world of trouble with it.

We are routing it through a Mera MVTS II 1.4 softswitch.

PSTN to PSTN. The faxes start communicating, but then after about 40 seconds the fax fails.

Can anyone offer any tips or insight on this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have Anveo VoIP, Linksys PAP2T adapter and Samsung fax machine connected to Linksys.
Receiving faxes goes OK, sort of. Sending faxes is more sporadic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Today tried many times to send 3 page fax to Europe and it failed every time. Very frustrating.
Anveo tech support says that it is what it is and that VoIP is not so good to transmit faxes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Try using Anveo's feature that allows you to upload a PDF. That will be more reliable than a PAP2T on a residential internet connection.

If you must use a physical fax machine, try setting Network Jitter Level to Very High or Extremely High if that option exists. You should also set Jitter Buffer Adjustment to Disable. Finally, set your fax to 9600 bps or "overseas mode" if it is not already. When sending or receiving faxes, don't use your internet connection for anything else unless you have very strict QoS rules set up in your router.

·
Registered
142 Posts
New report, pretty much in line of previous one. I listened Mango and tried to fine tune all parameters that is possible. It is still bad, very bad. Today I tried to send a fax and it redialled automatically until exhausted. Then I tried again and same result. COMM ERROR.

Then I sent fax through Anveo fax service. It was easy to do it on-line but I will never know did recipient get the fax or not? Never received any feedback from Anveo. I am not doing that any time soon as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Voip.ms faxing success. I used Epson Artisan 810 connected to Cisco SPA122 behind the router, on a voip.ms value line. The only configuration change I made in the ATA was: Fax Disable ECAN from "no" to "yes". All other settings unchanged. I called Canon Test Fax Service at 1-855-392-2666. The transmission was smooth send and receive. The Epson displayed communication error message on receive, but the Canon test page came in 100% perfect.
I will be using Epson only to send occasional faxes, not to receive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Faxing with VOIPms - no go

Teksavvy 30/5 plan, OBIHAI 202 and VOIPms.

Faxing with a Xerox Workcentre 3315 and have less than a 40 percent success rate. It appears that the delay is just too great for this to work.

Should also point out that the fax machine is on a separate dedicated SIP (sub account) on port 2 of the OBI.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Look in the admin guide http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm for how to set up a star code for $NOJI1 and $NOEC1. This might help for sending faxes, but not receiving. Also, lower the speed of your fax to 9600. If faxing is important to you, try VoIP.ms's beta online fax service or FreePhoneLine which supports T.38 (but has no technical support).

For a supported solution, AcroVoice has a non-beta online fax service, and their phone service supports T.38 which should ensure reliable faxing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possibly the answer is no. FAX was actually designed for analog network and cannot travel on VoIP network. Both are incompatible and the biggest challenge is the way VoIP signal coverts audio into computer language, it distorts the signals from fax and it can't be understood on the other hand. VoIP service provider to have this problem resolved.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
FAX was actually designed for analog network and cannot travel on VoIP network
That is incorrect. A properly operating VoIP link is indistinguishable from a regular TDM digital voice channel. However, the question remains whether you get good enough VoIP over the public Internet. I have set up FAX over VoIP, a few times, and it worked well. There is even a FAX CODEC that's designed to work over VoIP

BTW, there hasn't even been a true analog network for many years. A regular POTS line is analog only as far as the exchange. It's G.711 digital elsewhere, unless someone runs a lower bandwidth CODEC to save costs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, It is correct because FAX communication uses the analog signal in a different way to regular voice communication. When VoIP technology digitize the analog voice communication, it is optimized for voice not for Fax signaling. Best way to use FAX machine with VoIP phone is to use VOIP gateway and connect it with ATA i.e Analog Telephony Adapter that supports T38.

However you can get this issue resolved via contacting VoIP service provider as well. He will guide you well to make FAX machine works well with VoIP phone system.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
^^^^
That depends on the CODEC used. Cell phone CODECs, designed to minimize bandwidth are strictly voice only. However, the G.711 CODEC, as often used for VoIP, is the exact same CODEC used for the full 64 Kb digital voice channel. As I mentioned, I have set up FAX over VoIP. That said, there may be issues with using it over the public Internet, due to latency etc..

BTW, you're talking to someone who's worked in the telecom industry for many, many years and first came across digital voice carriers in 1975.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts