Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have built up a significant collection of books from Kobo this year that she reads on her Kobo and I read on my iPad.

Looking to get my wife a new eReader, either the new Kobo or the new Kindle.

I assumed you couldn't but something on another thread suggested you could so I thought I would ask.

Can I load Kobo books on the Kindle? (and if so, how)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Kobo books are epub format with Adobe Adept DRM. You will just need to grab the Adebt Key from your Kobo reader or Kobo PC software, and then use this key to decrypt the DRM to produce a standard epub. You then need to convert the epub to mobi format for your Kindle.

I am not sure as to the legalities of this, but if you search for "i love cabbages", you will find the info you need. The Key retrieval script and the DRM decrypt scripts are written in python, so you may need to install a python compiler first. Surprisingly, decryption is instantaneous.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rsambuca.

So the only way is to defeat the DRM on a Kobo book, convert it and then load it on a Kindle?

Seems like to much work, so likely just get another Kobo!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So the only way is to defeat the DRM on a Kobo book, convert it and then load it on a Kindle?

Seems like to much work, so likely just get another Kobo!
Hugh, it sounds much worse than it is. Honestly.

Getting your "key" is a one time deal and there are now plugins available for Calibre (free software which happens to be the best book management / conversion software out there) which will remove the DRM and convert it to the correct format with one click. You could even do a bulk convert.

Don't let the book format stand in the way of your decision for which device to get.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Calibre is fantastic, highly reccomended.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks notsure.

My wife loves her existing Kobo but does complain about the page turning speed and the screen a bit so I would like to get your the next gen device.

If the conversion isn't too bad and can be done in bulk then I will consider the Kindle.

Ideally, I want to get her the better device so my next task is figuring out which device is superior.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If there happens to be a Sony Style store nearby stop by and check out the new Sony's (350, 650 and soon 950).

They would require no conversion at all (Kobo and Sony use ePub) but they would require DRM removal.

I love my 350 (I still have a 505 but it now gathers dust) and don't mind having paid a bit of a premium for it. Really good display, great touch screen and really fast page turns. The one thing I didn't think I would need that seems to be constantly used is the built-in dictionary.

Apologies for the off topic post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts