Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent' been happy with my provider for years, but keep renewing contracts with them. The reason I never switched is because I want to keep my phone number, which I've had now for 10 years.
So, here's my question. If I switch from one provider to another, can I keep my phone number, or do I lose it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I havent' been happy with my provider for years, but keep renewing contracts with them. The reason I never switched is because I want to keep my phone number, which I've had now for 10 years.
So, here's my question. If I switch from one provider to another, can I keep my phone number, or do I lose it?
Phone numbers are portable now. Just find a new provider and ask them to port your number. They even do the legwork of contacting your current provider.
Assuming you aren't under a contract you'll probably just get charged whatever the remainder of your monthly charge is.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Read the following first. From here

What You Need to Know About Transferring Your Phone Number to a New Service Provider

• Wireless Number Portability (WNP) is a wireless consumer's ability to change service providers within the same general metropolitan area or local calling area and keep their existing phone number. WNP also allows consumers to move a phone number from a wireline phone to a wireless phone (and vice versa). WNP became available in metropolitan areas across Canada on March 14, 2007. Your prospective new service provider will be able to tell you if they can provide service for your current phone number.
  • Do NOT cancel your current service, as only active telephone numbers are eligible to be transferred to a new service provider. Contact the service provider you want to switch to first. The new service provider will contact your old service provider to transfer your phone number. Individual service providers will determine what fees may be applicable for WNP service.
  • Review your existing contract or service agreement to find out what fees or charges would apply if you cancel your service before your contract is complete. You will be obligated to pay any early cancellation fees identified in any existing contract, and be obligated to pay any outstanding balance.
There are several pieces of information your new service provider will need in order to transfer your phone number.

• Wireless-to-Wireless Customers – If you can, bring your wireless phone and most recent monthly bill with you when you visit your new prospective service provider. If you don’t have a bill, your new service provider will need to know your telephone number and one of the following: your account number; your password /PIN; or your phone’s ESN/MEID numbers which are located on the back of your phone under the battery. Your new service provider can assist you to identify your ESN (Electronic Serial Number) or MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier).
  • Wireline-to-Wireless Customers – If you can, bring your most recent monthly bill with you when you visit your new prospective service provider. If you don’t have a bill, your new service provider will need to know the telephone number, the account holder’s name and the service address.
  • Wireless-to-Wireline Customers – If you can, bring your wireless phone and most recent monthly bill with you when you visit your new prospective service provider. If you don’t have a bill, your new service provider will need to know your wireless telephone number and one of the following: your account number; your password /PIN; or your phone’s ESN/MEID numbers which are located on the back of your phone under the battery. Your new service provider can assist you to identify your ESN (Electronic Serial Number) or MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier).
With wireless number portability, your phone number is the only thing you are transferring to your new service provider. You will most likely require a new phone, but you can check with your new service provider to see if their network is compatible with your existing device. You will also need to choose a new service plan and new calling features from your new service provider. As well, it is important to check whether any other services that may be connected to your phone number, such as Internet services, directory listings or alarm and security systems, might be impacted by transferring your phone number to a new service provider.

If you are transferring your phone number from one wireless service provider to another wireless service provider, your new voice service should be activated within 2.5 business hours. If you are transferring a wireline number to a wireless service provider, or vice versa, the service should be activated within two business days.

More information about WNP, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found at www.wirelessnumberportability.ca.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts