Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought three recievers on E-bay and they are currently disabled because the seller owes some money to Shaw. I expect the seller to clear up this issue.

Yesterday I installed the 75e dish and hooked up one of the 505 receivers. I was unable to get more than a 39 reading on the signal. Seemes if I moved the dish the signal did not change. I am wondering if it has something to do with using a new (different) LNB that the prior owner was using- of if Shaw can somehow shut down the receiver from showing an accurate signal because of the non-payment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tuning method

Yes you should be able to tune in the signal without the receiver being authorized.
Always use channel 299 to tune the dish, that way LNB type doesn't matter.
Always start with a perfectly vertical mount arm to put the dish on.
Remember to set the skew before you start tuning.
Use the the signal meter screen with the bar graph for initial tuning. (Tune Satellite Signal screen)
Make sure the cable is screwed into the input with the little dish beside it. - you'd be surprised how often that mistake is made.
Make sure the cable runs from the LNB to the receiver directly without going through any splitters or anything else.

Dennis

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's some info in addition to the dguthrie post.....and from someone who admittedly has limited experience with pointing a Shaw dish......

If your connections between the receiver & dish are good, you will get SOME signal level even if the dish is totally mispointed. The fact that when you rotate the dish there is no signal level change tells me you are not anywhere near the satellite and the 39 is likely just background noise. The 39 seems a little high for background noise, (usually about 20) but nonetheless......

Therefore, in addition to dguthries's suggestions, make sure your elevation is correctly set. Having an incorrect elevation means you will likely NEVER intercept the satellite signal, no matter how you turn the dish. Ensure that your elevation is set by the edge of the metal inside the mechanism on the degree scale....NOT the clamp bolt itself. The metal edge used to have a little white line painted on it, but a dish I installed last week didn't even have that line.

Also, use dishpointer-dot-com to see a graphic of the horizontal direction that you should be using. Enter your location and choose Anik F2 from the dropdown. If you insist on using a compass, be sure you are using the value of the magnetic azimuth and not the true azimuth.

As dguthrie points out, the mast MUST be plumb or your elevation and skew settings that you have made will be meaningless.

Once you begin to get a signal, enter 4128 in the EMM Provider box on the same screen as the signal level meter. If you are pointed at the Shaw Direct Satellites, the box will turn green. If it stays red or turns red, you are pointed at the wrong satellites.

I would suggest setting the skew at 90 until you have initially found a signal, then set it according to your location before fine-tuning. But dguthrie may have more experience than I at pointing a dish......

When you are pointed in roughly the right direction (per dishpointer) make VERY small turns of the dish on the mast and wait several seconds for the signal meter to react. Being too hasty will result in missing the signal.

My personal preference, since I am at a longitude where the elevations of Anik F1R and F2 are nearly equal, is to start with the dish too far west, and rotate slowly back to the east in order to intercept Anik F2 first. Doing the opposite resulted in my being on F1R and missing F2. But this would apply only if the longitude of your location is in the 107-111 degree range.

If your receiver is not authorized, you will get a screen on 299 that says "please wait, acquiring signal". This is normal and, as dguthrie states, you can still use the signal meter on that channel. At this point in the aiming procedure, I'm not sure the type of LNB makes a difference. Once you have locked onto the signal, call Shaw to authorize and you could mention to the CSR that you are using a 75e or "unstacked" LNB. Once authorized, you should then see a picture on 299 and all other channels in your package.

At that point, you can go Options 6-4-7, wait a few seconds, then view Line C. You will see a number preceded by the letters EcbNo. This number should be at least +8.0. Check it on 299 and on 701. With all the clamps on the dish tight, and your skew properly set, gently twist the dish left, right, down, and up to see if you can increase the EcbNo's. If the twisting increases the number, loosen the clamp and GENTLY tweak the dish in that direction. Improving the EcbNo on 299 may decrease it on 701....or have the opposite effect. The idea is to maximize it on both channels and may require some patience on your part as you check and tweak. The purpose of maximizing these numbers is to minimize the impact of stormy weather on your reception. The reason you are using 299 and 701 is that each comes from a different satellite and each should have a picture regardless of what package you are subscribed to. If you're really patient you could also repeat the procedure using 301 and 712, always shooting for the highest EcbNo's on all channels. In the "8's" is good, in the "9's" is excellent, and anything higher, you should leave it alone and go have a cold one.

Hang in there....you can do this....good luck......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope this isnt a thread jack, but I had a similar question...
Does the PVR receiver (530) work if it is not plugged into a dish?
I was hoping to bring my pvr with me to the cottage and watch some of the recordings (but I dont have a dish installation there). It doesnt seem to be working, all I get is a "NO SUPPORT" message, and dont seem to be able to get into any menus:confused: Or is this symptomatic that it possibly got damaged during travel? I wont be home for a few more days in order to plug it back in.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't think it will work unless hooked up to a dish.

I had read at one point that the programs are saved in an encrypted format and are only decrypted (and watchable) when the receiver is hooked to a dish and receiving a SD signal.

I know a Rogers PVR won't work unless connected to a working CATV line.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I seem to recall that soon after I got my first PVR we had a big snow storm that covered my dish so no more TV. My dish has to be in a very inaccesable location to clear trees behind my house.

No problem I thought....we have lots of stuff on the PVR to watch and while I thought I managed to get it going, I do recall a real battle to get it to play a show rather than "searching for a signal".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts