Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Acer computer for my parents and have fully updated and configured the thing, (including removing tons of bloatware), and made a fresh disk image of a perfectly clean & updated OS. I now found out another family member bought an identical computer, (it was a good deal at the source). She wants me to set it up for her too. :(

I'm wondering if it's possible to use my image to copy onto this identical computer? I know I'd have to reactivate windows due to the differing serial numbers ect in the separate system. Is it just a matter of inputing the key from her machine or are there other problems? I'm worried it would invalidate my key or cause problems... or will it just prompt for a new key and accept the new one like normal?

I'd love to do this as I have to go to her house and I don't want to spend half my sunday there doing the same updating and crap removal I just spend saturday doing!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Click on Start, right click on Computer and select Properties. Near the bottom of the window you should see a link to Change Product Key. The new PC's product key should work when entered there. I would make an image or the original O/S before overwriting it, just in case an MS activation gremlin fubars the activation. It's usually possible to get around activation issues on retail Windows by calling MS. Not sure about OEM versions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts