Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 9242 reciever which is a rental. i want to buy the reciever but BELL won't let me buy it. is there a way that BELL will let me buy the reciever. it has ben on rental for over 2 years and i don't want any other reciever model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I want to buy your 9242 too! Not sure if Bell will let it happen for you... Sure would be nice if they'd offer it again though...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
9242 receivers are no longer available from Bell. The 9241 is the only PVR available. Buying used is one possibility but read this first. The other option is to wait until Bell releases a new model to replace the 9242/9241.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9242's are still available,...but only for rental. my problem is that i have one at the momment but i don't want to rent it anymore,....i want to buy the reciever. Why won't BELL let me do so ??

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As noted. They are no longer available. If Bell was still selling the 9242, I'm sure they would be happy to sell you one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I renewed my Bell TV Monday which included a PVR purchase having previously rented a 9242. The installer showed up today with a brand new 9242 ...apparently they were/are out of 9141's.

So now I own a 9242 and for just $149.99 but best of all I can safely read the 9242 owners forum :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also able to get a 9242 a few months back (October/November) with a little negotiation with the CSR. Said they were not available, we said we would like to proceed with canceling unless we could get a 9242. Said she'd call me back, and within the day a 9242 was on its way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can get 9242's as much as i want,....we have like 20 come in at the warehouse every month at work but they only let them out on rental and not purchase. most of the time we use them on service calls for existing clients who have that model already. BELL wont let us install them for new installations. ( only to replace one that is defect ) wish i could buy it though :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
I searched for a thread comparing the 9241 and 9242, but couldn't find any with a direct comparison. Can anyone point me to a thread or let me know why the 9242 is more desirable?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It has been stated elsewhere here are the features of the 9242 that are not in the 9241:
1. Second, UHF remote.
2. Second, independent tuner output.
3. OTA tuner.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Forgot about that. It only works in single mode though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Guys, you can still buy a 9242.... althought not directly from Bell as we all know. However I just picked up a BRAND NEW 9242 on Saturday.

So, it still is possible to get one....its just going to cost you around $500-$600. Which if you recall was the selling price of these units when they came out!!

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i doubt that the 9242 reciever you bought was brand new. All 9242 recievers a refurbished. BELL stopped making them a while ago

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There are still still brand new boxed 9242's around.

I am talking with a retailer right now who has 55 of them, they are NOT refurbs but are truly brand new.

Also as an FYI, Bell do not make any receivers they are all made by Echostar.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i doubt that the 9242 reciever you bought was brand new. All 9242 recievers a refurbished. BELL stopped making them a while ago
Think what you like, it is BRAND NEW!!! In fact I even called BEV and gave them the ROO # Serial # card # etc just to make sure!!! And yes, BEV confirmed the unit HAS NEVER been activated or used!!!

Paul

1 - 20 of 35 Posts