Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea if the USB slots will be activated so we can add an external hard drive. Would be nice to be able to save movies to that and then put on the computer. I guess there is no way to do that from the internal hard drive at this time? Also does anyone know what the files are saved as? IE: mpeg2 or something? Thanks for any info..

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
The files are encrypted so you won't be able to transfer and play them on a PC.

I haven't heard anything about Microsoft adding the code to Mediaroom to handle external drives.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply..

I guess that's Microsoft for you. Encoding unencoded signals thru public tv.
Would be nice to store alot more, most providers offer that option like Shaw, Bell, etc. Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
All suppliers have to encrypt their hard drives.

Telus offers enough hours of storage for most people since it uses MPEG-4 which is more efficient than the other providers.

An external drive would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acessing mediaroom hard drive from network

Just wondering if it is possible to acess the harddrive of the Cisco mediaroom DVR from the home network? or any other way to acess the files on the mediaroom dvr? To bring it up on your laptop, thanks:)

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
lowhand, your post was merged into this thread. The answer is the same. The programs on the hard drive are encrypted and not accessible in any way.

Future releases of Mediaroom may allow you to stream shows to a PC or Xbox, but the shows can't be copied for copyright reasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
turn HD receiver to PVR

I'm planning to get TelusTV, so I just wonder if I can turn the regular HD receiver into PVR by just adding an external harddrive?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
No. The PVR has a much different firmware inside to handle recording, scheduling, file management, etc. It's not just about adding a drive.

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
Here is the info for the Telus Optik PVR:

3 year term: 1 FREE rental
Monthly rental: $15/mo.
Purchase option: $249.50
Limited time offer. Regular price $399.

The sale price is from the link a few posts above.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
HD box and external hard drive?

I am renting an HD box. Can I add an external hdd for PVR functionality?

If so, any recommendation on a cost efficient solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
why would you want to add a hard drive to your hd box?

I am pretty sure that you cannot simply rent an hd box and that a pvr is required. Ergo, because of optiks pvr anywhere features you would not need two pvrs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
why would you want to add a hard drive to your hd box?

I am pretty sure that you cannot simply rent an hd box and that a pvr is required. Ergo, because of optiks pvr anywhere features you would not need two pvrs.
i have an existing bell account where i have 1 pvr in living room and 1 hd reciever in bedroom i have a verbatum 1 terra byte hard drive hooked up to bell reciever they format drive and now i can record alot more shows wanted to switch to telus and was hoping to be able to do the same thing

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
@webhead, according to the Telus web site:
  • 1 PVR is all you need - record and play back your shows on up to 6 TVs in your home with a digital box
  • Record up to 3 shows simultaneously from any room — you never need to miss a show again
  • Pause a recorded program in one room and pick it up from the same spot in a different room
  • Record your favourite series with the touch of a button.
  • Remote recording lets you manage your PVR when you're away from home with a smartphone or online from any computer
  • Record up to 115 hours of HD programming or 295 hours of standard definition programming, so there's plenty of space for everyone's show
The number of hours is greater than a Bell PVR because Bell uses MPEG-2 compression and Telus uses MPEG-4 compression which is more modern and efficient. In addition, Bell reserves a portion of the PVR's hard drive for "video-on-demand" movies, since they can't send streams to individual customers. Finally, you would have to record a program twice if you want to watch a program on either TV with Bell.

The Telus PVR holds almost as many hours of HD programming as the 1 TB hard drive in your bedroom and you can watch the programs on either TV. It would be nice to have the option to add more hard drive space but I haven't heard of Microsoft planning to implement that feature.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just ordered Optik. I asked the CSR about external drive. He stated that you CAN plug one in. Has this been updated or is he misinformed?

He was pretty knowledgeable about other questions I had.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts