Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate that we are not lawyers but I am curious.

Yesterday I noticed a wire running from my phone box on the exterior of my house, up the wall of my house and across to my neighbours.

In talking to my neighbour, she said that she was having problems with her service so Bell decided to run a line from my house.

Now I don't have a problem helping my neighbour, but I certainly don't want Bell tacking wires to my house in an un-slightly fashion.

What is doubly annoying is that Bell is not my phone provider.

Anybody have any sense, can they do this without my permission?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
can they do this without my permission?
I don't know the legal answer but common sense would say no. Bell owns the wiring and right of way to the demarcation point, regardless of provider. You have no legal standing there.

However, attaching wires to the house past that without your permission may be illegal. I doubt any charges would be laid but Bell could be liable for damages. I would guess that this was done due to the difficulty burying cables at this time of year. I doubt it is worth pursuing other than filing a complaint with Bell for damages. About the only people it will impact are the installer (probably a contractor) and maybe the neighbor (if they lose their service.) OTOH, Bell contractors probably have enough grief without being dinged by Bell for taking a shortcut to get the neighbor's service working.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to cut off service to my neighbour,

however,

I don't like wires running up and down and across my house, I don't like the fact that it was done without my permission and I don't like the fact that they have given me no idea how long this ugly band-aid solution will last.

Had the installer spoke to me, I would have recommended a much cleaner solution which would not have taken more than a few extra minutes.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
up the wall of my house and across to my neighbours.
That seems a bit much. Since you're not a customer, they had no right to do that. Trespassing comes to mind. Did they do any damage with nails etc.?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would say that Bell has no right to run wires on your home, whether you are a Bell customer or not. I would file a complaint and ask that the wires be removed from your home.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I live in a townhouse complex of 24 units. My next door neighbour has had an ugly flopping set of wires running loosely down his stack for at least 5 years. It then runs across the ridge line to his neighbour, obviously for same length of time. All our services are buried, electricity, phone, cable. My guess it is Bell telephone. Sad thing is my neighbour has Cogeco telephone service. Scream and yell now or this could be your new normal. sailmaker:mad:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry, I like my neighbour and want to continue being friends!

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
^^^^
So, perhaps the best solution would be for you to call Bell and ask them to correct the situation ASAP. Perhaps they didn't even know the contractor did that.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am considering calling Bell but I envision basically being told "that's tough we can do it and we can do it without your permission" so I'm not sure I want to waste the time.

I'll speak to my neighbour about how long the Bell technician said it would be like that. If it's only a week or so then its not worth the hassle.

If its going to be months and I have the right (hence why I asked here) to have Bell move it without inconveniencing my neighbour then I will call.

·
Registered
207 Posts
From my past dealings with Bell and their push for Wire protection or whatever they call it. Bell is responsible and owns the wire up and only to the demarcation point.
They are allowed to access your property for the sole purpose of accessing the external box on the outside of your house.

I'd say that running the cables from your box to the neighbours house is beyond their allowed scope. In the interest of being neighbourly I'd talk with your neighbour friend, show them the mess and explain you are worried about damage done and potential damage that could happen.
I'd bet dollars to dohnuts that your neighbour will be pissed with Bell, and I bet if you can get them to threaten to leave Bell a contractor will be there within the hour to fix the issue.
If they do nothing call Bell that you will be sending a lease to then to lease the land the cable runs over and that by running the cable over said land they have already agreed to it's terms and conditions.
Having a Laywer friend or family member would be handy in this situation.

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so my advice may contain legal inaccuracies :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hugh I'm confused. Did they actually tap into YOUR box and run a line to your neighbours?

You said running a line from your box so I'm curious if they're just using your house as a transient or are actually extending the service from your house to theirs??

Either way, I would have Bell come back and route it properly and repair any damage to your house. Their techs have obviously taken a shortcut.

Wow with this, your Wind experience and Primus' shenanigans, you've been having some fun lately.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did they actually tap into YOUR box and run a line to your neighbours?
Yes. Came home and a beige wire running out of the bell box, up the wall of my house about 12 feet and then across to my neighbours.

·
Registered
390 Posts
In this case, I'd be very, very concerned (aka PISSED).

They should be running a temporary line from the remote to the residence. Not piggybacking off of another.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They should be running a temporary line from the remote to the residence. Not piggybacking off of another.
What is a "remote"?

·
Registered
390 Posts
They're different in various neighbourhoods, but ours are the knee-high brown boxes on the boulevards. They aggregate back to the CO. They usually place them with the cable bullets as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
They require your permission to attach anything to your home, or run any equipment or wiring along property that is not set aside as an easement.

Bell does own the "box" at the side of your home. If you do not subscribe to Bell services, you can direct them to remove it.

They likely didn't ask you, as you may not have been home at the time. Or they tend to practice the adage, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Temporary lines (that's what this is) are often installed for both cable and telephone operators where buried plant exists.

The bad news is that this issue likely won't be fixed until the summer months. However you can request that changes be made to make the temp fix more aesthetically pleasing. Or if the safety of this install is in question.

The good news is that if you subscribe to Bell services, you can most certainly bargain for discounts.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
^^^^
Given they're trespassing on the private property of someone who's not even a customer, they should be able to do something a *LOT* faster. I realize Hugh doesn't want to annoy his neighbour, but he's fully within his rights to cut that cable. Perhaps Hugh could call Bell and suggest that possibility and see if it gets them moving a bit faster.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Well, you can't bury lines in the winter. Presumably the buried line to the neighbour's home has failed, and the only option was to replace it temporarily.

And they'll never charge a technician for trespassing who is performing duties consistent with his job. Even if you laid a private charge, it would likely be dismissed. Working at Rogers years ago, I'd heard of situations where police actually accompanied technicians onto private property to prevent the owner from interfering. The reality is that we have far less control over our own property than we believe.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If all services are underground, the only other option would be to run a cable on the surface, which is OK in the back yard but not suitable over public walkways. I would make sure that a work order was placed to install a new cable later this year.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand that issues arise but I notification and discussion before work is done. Why can't bell have a form that they place in people's explaining that work has been done and that it's temporary and permission before defacing my home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts