Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether any of you linux gurus know if the Android Phone touchscreen aps can be ported over to a regular linux desktop or laptop. I have a convertible tablet (HP Touchsmart TM2) which I have installed linux on (Arch Linux dual boot with the factory Win7). Touchscreen, stylus, wifi, etc are all working quite well for my needs, however, there are virtually no linux programs that are touchscreen friendly like the Android aps.

Other than Firefox, which has a touchscreen plugin, and some graphics programs such as gimp and inkscape (which work wonderfully with the stylus), most other programs have virtually no touchscreen functionality, other than using the screen touches as mouse clicks.

Any way to get the Android-like touchscreen functionality on my linux pc's??

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You can install a Linux distro of your choice onto it (Arch in your case), install VirtualBox, and then install Android inside VirtualBox from one of the daily Android ISO images. Then you can just set Android to go full screen. Hopefully everything works.

·
Registered
303 Posts
While the Android apps are java based, the UI interaction and a bunch of other stuff is all proprietary...

Maybe you can run Eclipse and the Android emulator, though VirtualBox is probably better.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually hadn't thought of installing Android itself onto my tablet. It looks pretty easy with Virtualbox and the Android x86 project. I will probably do that at some point, however, I was still hoping to get more of the touchscreen functionality incorporated into my regular desktop programs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts