Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of them? I saw an ad online and checked out their web page. The prices look good, lots of features & international / toll free numbers etc. but I'm curious about the quality.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would hardly deal with a mickey mouse looking operation like that. They are simply a VoIP reseller.

I would avoid any reseller and look for a company that is truly in the business of delivering phone service. Trusted VoIP brands around here include: Vonage, Primus, VoIP.ms and of course Skype.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. Part of the point is I don't want to deal with those larger companies (Primus - pretty bad reviews; Vonage - a bit expensive; Skype - connect a USB phone or a headset, quality questionable), I'd rather find a smaller local Canadian company.

Aren't there any smaller Phone Service Providers that are reputable? I mean each one of the ones you mention started off as a mickey mouse operation as well! I don't know voip.ms but they look a bit complicated.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition to CampusCom, there's Bramatelecom, Voipgo, Comwave (I think I read some bad reviews here?), Justvoip etc. Any of these any good? Are they Canadian companies?

I don't care if they're a reseller, if they're making it simple, not charging outrageous prices and packaging it well, that's fine.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
877 Posts
It sounds like you've done your research. I have had very bad experiences with Primus. Vonage is so expensive I've just never tried them.

VoIP.ms is an excellent VoIP provider and they are my only telephone provider at home. However, you do need to purchase and learn how to configure an ATA.

I tried CampusCom's live chat just to see if anyone was there. There was...so already they're ahead of Netfone and the like ;) The rep was very courteous and friendly. He stated they'd been in the business for about a year.

You may also want to consider AcroVoice.ca. They're based in Victoria and have servers in Victoria and Toronto. They will provide the necessary hardware to you, pre-configured. I have spoken with the owner of AcroVoice several times and find him to be very knowledgeable.

Good luck!
m.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot Mango!

I'll likely go and check out the company you've suggested in Victoria as well as look into CampusCom a little more... maybe try the live chat support!

Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Signed Up

So I did decide to go with CampusCom.. and so far so good. I have their pay as you go plan, which is affordable as I don't use the phone that much. The features they advertise work and work well and the call quality is great!

Their support (both online & via phone) has been good thus far, but not needed much at all!!! Easy to set up and no real issues!

Thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that CampusCom is a Voip.MS reseller.

However, CampusCom offers more of a full-service feel, and more flat-rate packages, than Voip.MS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
small company but good and reliable

Hi guys,
To be honest I registered with Campuscom a couple of month ago and I think it's the best thing I did.
First it's so cheap (if you compare with Rogers , Bell etc ..) and I have a Canadian phone number (you can't with Skype)
It's also a good thing because I can use my number with my iphone with the SIP application .. no bad at all.

Last thing, it's totally free if you reach another Campuscom user :D

Honestly I was like you guys, hesitating.
I contacted the company (in Ottawa, not too far from my place) and I made a try.
First 2 weeks were awful had I had only outgoing calls (no sounds for incoming calls)
The good thing is that I paid nothing for those 2 weeks and then it has been fixed ( they contacted me almost every day to fix it).

After that , I never had any trouble , it's working perfectly and I pay 4.99 a month :p
I cannot complain.

So that's it, make a try , you can leave when you want, it's a good small company (my point of view).

Feel free to contact me if you need more information as user.

Gerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
CampusCom

I have used the CampusCom service since August 2009, mainly for long distance. The only technical problem I had turned out to be caused by poor phone lines from Bell to our rural home outside Toronto. I plan to expand to use this service for all our telephone needs as soon as a local number can be provided (so I don't have to change my number - saves some hassles.) Definitely a good service with personal tech support.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Gee, two first time posters telling how good service is from a company that no one has every heard of. Something tells me we will never see those users back on this forum.

Can you smell the spam?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Gee, two first time posters telling how good service is from a company that no one has every heard of. Something tells me we will never see those users back on this forum.

Can you smell the spam?
Good catch xm4243, also not to mention sdh has 8 posts, 5 of which in this forum, could he or she be trying to promote this company??

·
Registered
11 Posts
CampusCom Reviews

Hi There,

Actually I am from CampusCom. We were informed by Mango that there were some people asking about us on this forum and that we might wish to come by and make a posting from time to time to help users out etc. regarding our service and other voip services in Canada.

The users that did post reviews on the site received an email from our company which said that if they would like to give some account of their experience so far with CampusCom (since we are a new company) we would appreciate their honest comments in this forum.

& They certainly are being honest. Two weeks to properly get a line up and running (Gerry613) isn't that fantastic is it?

We strive to be the best we can, but we are a new provider and like anyone else, we encounter stumbling blocks along the way.

If you have any questions for CampusCom whatsoever, feel free to ask us. If our users would like to post a good OR BAD review on this site, they are more than welcome to do so from our perspective.

Thanks very much.

Michael,

CampusCom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Mango!

We hope to be able to help out some users from time to time and contribute to the forum on a regular basis.

Michael
CampusCom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Michael ...

It is quite a confidence boost for someone like me to see you represent CampusCom and make a presence on this forum. I'm searching for a VoIP provider to replace my home phone. I'm currently with Rogers and am trying to do my homework before switching. The heavily advertised guys (CommWave, Telehop, Primus ... etc) so far have not got too much of a favourable review .... maybe that's why they need to advertise heavily in the first place !!!

Anyway, just want to say I will surely take a second look at CampusCom and contact you with further questions

Thanks !
VN

·
Registered
11 Posts
VN

Hi VN,

Thanks very much for the comments! First I appologize for the website. We're currently working on a cleaner yet informative site for CampusCom which we hope to release in the next month or two!

We do offer customized packages for our clients as well to ensure they get exactly what they need at the fairest price possible!!!

Thanks so much!

Michael
CampusCom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts