Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
So what is the consensus here? Buy the CGN3 or not? How is the stability compared to the CGN2?

PS: i used to need to do a reboot every couple of days with the CGN2, but after Rogers changed the cable coming from the trunk to the inside of my house (the original RG-59 is 12 years old), I haven't had to reboot the CGN2 for 3 weeks straight.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
David - so far, mine has been solid, but it's been less than a week so take that for what it's worth. Very small sample size window. I ended up having to put mine in bridge mode so that I could re-enable my remote VPN access. In Gateway mode, it was not letting me do the port forwarding to my own internal network. The port forwarding only seems to work on it's own subnet. The only reboot I've done to it was after the switch to bridge mode. Other than that, it's been fine.

The speeds have been solid (I'm on the 150/15 plan with Rogers) and the 15Mbps upload is nice.

Here's a speed test I did yesterday when I was connected via my VPN to my home network from outside:

Nice.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So what is the consensus here? Buy the CGN3 or not? How is the stability compared to the CGN2?
Rented for a while.

Had trouble with mine until the firmware updates. After the updates, very solid.

Purchased one to replace rental. Been satisfied. I am on the 250/20 plan, and usually show 315 - 325 down.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This is not intended to sidetrack the discussion, just curious....

Just ran speedtest.net. First time, it selected a Toronto server "based on ping". The ping was 15ms, down around 200mbps, up around 15mbps.

I then selected Telus Toronto as the server. Ping was 8ms, down was 320+mbps, and up was 21mbps.

My question - why does speedtest.net always choose a less than optimal server? This has happened every time I have ever used it.

·
Super Moderator
56,421 Posts
Speed varies depending on where you connect. You should usually try various websites to see what you can get at various locations. If you want "optimal", you should probably use the Rogers site:

http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

The measurements can vary depending on the time of day and also on the size of the download/upload file used for the testing. Smaller files (used by the test site) give you faster downloads since there is more impact due to Rogers Speedboost.

The only real test is to download or upload a very large file, time how long it takes in seconds and then calculate the speed based on filesize and time taken for the upload or download. Remember 8 bits per byte.

·
Registered
528 Posts
According to their website, speedtest geolocates you and then selects "up to 5" nearby servers and then selects the server with the lowest ping. The Toronto Telus server must not be in the sample list they choose.

Incidentally when I manually select Toronto Telus my ping is better that the selected server as well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks!

Just seems that, by not selecting an appropriate site, a lot of people will get reading far lower than their connection is capable of.

If we want to discuss further, best to start a separate discussion. Kind of off topic here.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Just seems that, by not selecting an appropriate site, a lot of people will get reading far lower than their connection is capable of.
But you will generally be in the right ballpark and, as 57 says, this is not a real world situation so it may not totally relate to your actual speed. This is especially the case if you are downloading large files from someplace other than Toronto.

I sometimes get 320ish download speeds but more often I get speeds around 240 Mbps when in Bridge mode. I am not sure why this is the case but I don't worry about it since it doesn't make any practical difference as I am not going to be able to find very many sites where I can sustain a 325 Mbps speed. The network path for me is from my CGN3 in Bridge mode to an Asus RT-N66U router to a 24 port Gigabit switch and then to my PC(s) with gigabit NICs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok last reply here was 14 months ago....
I've had this modem about the same time. I've used it in both bridge & (currently) gateway mode.
Running firmware v4.5.8.16

I find that the interface is the first thing to die. Browser simply times out connecting.
Restarting the modem brings it back - although the restart time seems way too long.

And twice a month I need to reboot it as all connectivity is lost -- and of course I am unable to login when this happens.
I 'think' the stability is getting better but I haven't been keeping track of the firmware updates or tracking the failure times for that matter.

Other than that the modem seems great, I like the options and handles hundreds of peer-to-peer connections fine - although I have a feeling this might be causing the issue.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I started this thread but now mine is rock solid but I have no idea what firmware since I can't access the web UI as I am in Bridge mode and they disabled access to the web ui at 192.168.100.1 with one of the previous firmware updates - unless that is now fixed. I did have severe problems when the device first came in January of 2014 but my internet uptime is now over 99.99% - I just see a few outages during the night when Rogers is doing maintenance. I don't think my modem ever reboots but I have no way of knowing.

If you have the CGN3 you can likely get Rogers to upgrade it to a newer model that may be more stable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont recall any disabling of access, but then again I only try to get in very infrequently and only used bridge mode recently, on my current model.

In bridge mode, no issues getting into the Hitron CGN3ACSMR (firmware ver 4.5.8.16) via http://192.168.100.1/

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
That doesn't work on a CGN3 (non-ACR) in bridge mode or it didn't the last time I tried it and that was a known issue. That is what I meant by disabled access.

·
Registered
195 Posts
you need to factory reset your modem to disable bridge mode in order to get into the 192.168.100.1 interface. or call RHSI tech support for them to unbridge the mdm for you which will automatically enable the web interface again.

when in bridge mode, there's really no need for a web interface!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You can get back out of bridge mode with a factory reset as well (hold down the reset for a good 30 seconds).

For some people they would like it, when they are having speed or other issues, to log into it and check the signal levels on the modem, etc.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Gdkitty provided one reason - to check your signal levels. The other reason is to check your firmware version.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts