Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build an OTA but the TV transmitters appear to be spread out in a wide range of angles. I was wondering if I can combine multiple SBGH antennae facing different directions?

Or, will a quadruple SBGH antenna work at all? That is, a contraption that has 4 antenna's facing 4 directions, combining into a single output. Two opposing antennas will share the grid reflector and have their own bowtie assembly.

Any comments on how this will/will not work?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Please post your TvFool . It`s a very important tool for determining what design might work best for your location. You may not need multiple antennas for the results you`re after . If your transmitters are within 60 miles I have plans for a multi-lobed GH that is working perfect in two different locations ( both ends of Lake Erie ) covering scattered markets without the use of a rotor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anything above channel 8 (8.1) should be easy to catch with a single SBGH, except maybe the VHF channels. Everything is LOS and in the northern direction.

To get the VHF channel, I'd sugget you use the version with NAROD.

Right now, I'm picking up channels at real channel 23 at 70 degrees from where the SBGH points to with a NM of 0.4 from an attic instalation (I don't beleive it either...)

jf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks

Thank you. I will try this one. My only concern is that there is a 10 story building a couple of blocks north of my location.

I did the coat hanger DIY antenna and that picks up several local channels with fairly good quality, but no CBS, NBC, Fox or ABC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone

Antenna is complete and I receive about 60 channels, including the network channels Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR... So it was pretty much a success.
I decided to design the SGBH with NAROD.

One funny thing, ABV (7-1) reception was non-existant with the simple SGBH, excellent with a single NAROD in the bottom and bad with top and bottom NARODs. I dont know why, but anyway, I decided to go with a single NAROD at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
excellent with a single NAROD in the bottom and bad with top and bottom NARODs.
Heh, at almost 50 NM on channel 7, using two NARODs was probably overloading. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts