Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me out a second. I am trying to do a calibration with DVE and i am at the brightness stage. I can't remember if you are supposed to see the inside bar slightly or just the middle bar. Getting to black to eliminate the outer bar was good, i just dont understand if the inner bar is supposed to be slightly visible or is it just the middle bar that is supposed to be visible? its tough to do the contrast one with as well, although colors were a breeze.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The three bars are 2% gray ... 4% gray and blacker than black.

If you see the BTB ... then your brightness is too high and you are washing out the blacks.

If you do not see the 2% bar, then you are crushing blacks ... and killing your shadow detail that you are supposed to see. 2% and 4% mean they are above black ... and must be visible.

regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically Michael, once you can no longer see the btb bar the other two bars should be visible?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, or do you lower the level of the inner bar just a bit? Thanks and sorry for all the questions..

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
That is right.

Outside:BTB
Middle: 4%
Inside: 2%

It has been a while since I used DVE but the the the 2% bar should be just barely visible and the 4% one will be obvious. Use the image background as a reference. Ignore the BTB bar for now.

I find it easier to zero the brightness and slowly increase it until I see a response in the pixels. I usually sit within a few feet of the screen.

http://www.videoessentials.com/docs/DVE_Consumer_NTSC.pdf

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

On this pattern, if you keep going down after the btb disappears, you risk losing material between black and 2%.

There is no trade off here where you give up detail to get better blacks short of turning the tv off. you could sacrifice 2% of the detail but you get no better blacks than if you just do it right.

if you sacrifice 2% why not 5% ... why not 25% ... 100% ... shut the tv off and sit in a dark room and marvel at your great blacks ... and no image detail. :)

Just set it right according to the instructions ... and that is all.

Digital displays do not give you better blacks if you turn down the brightness too far ...

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, it has been a couple of weeks now and the "100" hours of required break in time has been completed. I did the calibration with DVE and i just have a question about the contrast setting. I have it set at 52 and i am wondering if i am at the correct level. Contrast is hard to set with DVE i think. Brightness as well as color and tint are easy and the screen is beautiful. My panasonic P54G25 is looking great i must say!! My calibration settings are:

Custom

contrast: 52
brightness:68
color:46
tint:-5
sharpness:0

THX

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Although each TV is different, I don't see anything "wrong" with any of the settings, except for say Contrast which seems relatively low, meaning that most programmes might appear pretty "dull". I would also think that the brightness at 68 on the Custom setting is somewhat high, but as I say, each TV is different. I assume you must be watching in a pretty dark room. Adjusting Contrast will affect other settings, especially Brightness. If you move the Contrast up, you'll likely need to reduce Brightness to compensate.

I've also noticed that sometimes there is a "step change" when setting the sharpness to zero, so sometimes I set it to 1 instead of zero, in case zero is too soft.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
57, the viewing is done in my living room at night and there is low lighting. I am asking myself the same question with contrast though. i see everyone else has high contrast in custom mode. that won't do any damage to tv? brightness as per DVE settings, well the 4% bars are there and the 2% bars are just visible at 68. i will play with sharpness though just to check that out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while i am on the subject of this tv, how come i cant access the "official G20-25 discussion " thread. Every time i try to post in there about questions concerning this tv it doesn't allow me in..do not have permission..That sucks! i woiuld like to talk about my tv in there as opposed to asking questions elsewhere..Can you help me out 57?

·
Registered
143 Posts
With my new TV I have a wide band of contrast that does not seem to really have an effect on the picture. Brightness and color is apparent, but I can put the contrast anywhere in the middle and it looks the same.

I split the difference and left it in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
On many TVs that I have optimized, there is often very little difference in contrast between say 75 and 100. The graph on my Spyder is often pretty flat at those levels. Again, depends on the TV and model.

I found a 2010 Panasonic thread, is that the one? If not, please provide the link to the thread.

Is this the one? http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124611&highlight=*g20*+*g25* Works OK for me, but as a mod I may have more access...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how to post a link. it is called :the official panasonic G20/25 owners discussion thread. Whenevr i try to post thereit says you do not have permission..i would like to pm or speak to Dnice he seems to have all the knowings on this tv

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After tweaking again with the contrast and brightness with DVE i have come up with new settings.

custom:
contrast:72
brightness:61
color:46
tint:-4
sharpness:1

I must admit the picture is brighter than before. I guess it takes some getting used to new settings.

·
Registered
144 Posts
contrast, in general, is set a little higher on the Panasonic. you need to balance a suitable amount of light output without sacrificing grayscale...because pulling contrast up or down will shift your grayscale...and on top of it affect your final gamma value in conjunction with your final determined brightness setting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts