Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a calibrator guy coming on Wed to do my TV(SAMSUNG DLP) plus they also do the surround sound.I was reading an old thread with Johnny G and this guy debating on needing calibration or doing it yourself.I agree with JG,might as well spend the money and have your TV looking the very best it can,my view is I spent over $3500 for just the TV I would be stupid not to get it looking the very best it can by using equipment that cost 4-5 times what I paid for the TV.Plus I know everybody who has an HDTV display has that little voice inside them while they watch high def or a movie at 720p say "Wow this looks great! imagine what it would look like calibrated by an ISF guy" ;) I say just get it done its only gonna look amazing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
scobro. I'm very interested in how this turns out (I've got the same set). Please keep us posted with the results!

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robobob said:
scobro. I'm very interested in how this turns out (I've got the same set). Please keep us posted with the results!
No problem.
Robobob did you get the stand for the TV the tr85?I had to get mine in the States(Amhurst)but it is so worth it, there is a compartment to hide your cables(wife loves that)and the actual design and glass is great.The one thing that has been real good is i put a TV wall mount stand above the set and it comes out perfectly flush with the top of the screen so the centre speaker tilts down absolutely perfect towards my listening area(couch)Im so glad I got this set even when the TV is off it makes the room look very cool. :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Should this thread should be moved to the Samsung forum now?...

I've been meaning to start a whole new thread on the 5085 and component placement as that seems to be the biggest turn off for people when considering this set. Personally, I don't like the look of the tr85 stand because it takes away from the unique "TV on a stick" design which is what I like most about the 5085.

Without the stand it is challenging to place your components to make them look good but it can be done. I have the TV exactly in the center of at 14' long wall. To the right I have a low, black component stand and to the left I have my sub woofer that's roughly the size the component stand. On the outside of those I have my black main speakers which are about half the height of the TV. Everything on both sides of the TV is perfectly symmetrical and balanced and it looks great. That’s the key to making it look good, you’ve got to balance both sides.

For now, my center is on the floor, angled up which is the only thing I don't like as it takes away from the TV's "pole" (just a little bit). I like your idea of mounting it on a TV stand.

Hiding the cables was easy. I just placed another baseboard in front of all the cables. You can't even tell unless you get up really close.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the calibration done and it is everything I hoped it would be.The whites are whiter the blacks are clearer and the overall "noise" is gone.I had a lot of blue issue with my picture now it's the way it should be.The tech used a colour analyzer and the Avia disc he went into the factory settings you need a code to acces and just "cleaned" things up.He stated also that with HDMI he cannot do as much "tweaking" as he would have normally done.All in all I am pleased I spent the money to get this done you can sure notice the difference.I also learned from him about not using fancy noise reduction options as they just add "noise"to reduce "noise"and he showed me an example on a movie(Shrek)very cool to watch it took about 2.5 hours plus he did some tweaking to my surround sound and whipped out some measuring device I would assume was an SPL plus set the sub up to sound better than I had it.To me it was worth the $350.00 for the great picture +sound and for the peice of mind.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm happy for you too. Might just have to try it myself. I have a feeling I'll have a hard time finding a good calibrator guy in saskatoon though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts