Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the AVS forum someone told me that there's a 100 hour break in period one should abide by before calibrating. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
This opinion has now been confirmed. I have read it here as well as on AVS. It must be right.

But seriously, I did wait for 3 months before getting the set calibrated. If you are going to have problems with your set then problems should show up early on. So why waste money on a set that maybe shipped back. This is good enough logic for me to wait for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RNAChemist said:
I think that break in period applies to CRT based RPTVs? LCDs and DLPs wouldnt need a break in period would they?
Makes sense to me, RNA, although I understand the practical reason beanagee1 mentions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
beanagee1 said:
This opinion has now been confirmed. I have read it here as well as on AVS. It must be right.

But seriously, I did wait for 3 months before getting the set calibrated. If you are going to have problems with your set then problems should show up early on. So why waste money on a set that maybe shipped back. This is good enough logic for me to wait for a while.
I understand Beanagee1, but I would do the calibration myself--already did on my last set. No waste of money; only time.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,566 Posts
If you're talking about a professional calibration, a month or two wait is probably a good idea, also in case you have any "infant mortality" with the TV, so that you don't calibrate a TV that's going to "go back".

If you're talking about using a setup DVD, there's nothing stopping you from doing a setup right away and doing a "touch up" in a month or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
57 said:
If you're talking about a professional calibration, a month or two wait is probably a good idea, also in case you have any "infant mortality" with the TV, so that you don't calibrate a TV that's going to "go back".

If you're talking about using a setup DVD, there's nothing stopping you from doing a setup right away and doing a "touch up" in a month or two.
Agent 57! How are you?!

I guess what I'm asking is whether I can do any "harm" to the new set if I start fiddling with the SM, so early in its "life". I've returned 5 units; I know, had I calibrated each (I didn't by the way ... only this last one), this would have been a lot of time wasted. However, is there a reason, other than this, that should keep me from calibrating one right off the shelf? I've heard that one shouldn't with CRT's. But the reasoning that applies to those units doesn't seem to with LCD's.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,566 Posts
I can't think of any "harm" that can be done. Perhaps JG can comment.

On CRTs I can think of "harm" from running in Torch mode for several months...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I'd calibrate it myself right off the bat with a calibration DVD; the contrast, brightness, and colours are going to be way off. Then come back to it a few months later after if's been 'burned' in and fine tweak it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DVST8 said:
I'd calibrate it myself right off the bat with a calibration DVD; the contrast, brightness, and colours are going to be way off. Then come back to it a few months later after if's been 'burned' in and fine tweak it.
Thanks for the suggested chronology, DVST8. However, I'm forced to ask whether there is a "burn in" period for LCD's in particular. I know this is the case with CRT's. But I believe there's debate as to whether this is the case with LCD's. I guess that's been my question all along. Can someone confirm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I don't believe that the LCD chips themselves will actually change/burnin, but I would bet that the rest of the circuitry does (power supply, etc). I would still follow the same steps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
so what exactly is torch mode? My 46in. Sony (bought last year) has not been tinkered with except by me. and by tinkering I mean adjusting a few things like turning down the brightness and thngs like that.. So is that what you mean by 'torch mode'??? the fact that the TV is too bright???
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,566 Posts
See the digital home FAQ on "What you need to do to your new HDTV". Some people call the "factory settings" Torch Mode, simply because they are usually too "hot", expecially on CRT-based TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
read it a few times.. other then using a DVD to play with the settings.. As stated. by turning down the brightness and contract a little is that enough?
I dont use 'vivid' mode on the TV at all either...so I'll keep tweakin' until I think it is helping!!!

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I find it hard to get the colours right, so the calibration CD does help. I think I got my Video Essentials from ebay for less that $20US with shipping, and only took 3 days to get here. I've done a few of my friend's Sony displays and they were all quite a bit off..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Yes, a Sony KP46WT520.

Not to bad. I'd just do the basic calibrations first and then just watch the advanced. I had to go into Sony's service menu to fix the red and the greens.

I think I went through it twice and now I have the hang of it...also I found it easier doing it in the dark..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
hmm, might look into the DVD then.. thanks for the info... If I grab it, could I pm you with any help I may need? I have the same TV!

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Q: when using these calibration DVDs, do I need to go into the Service menu or can I just use the settings available to a normal user? I'm just not that confident yet to go in there
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top