Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had my 44NHM84 for about 4 months and have it hooked up to a the Shaw Cable HDTV PVR box through component. HD content is stunning. I had Morgan calibrate it for me about 2 months ago. Did a wonderful job. Was here about 5 hours in total. Noticed a big difference and highly recommend any professional calibrators such as Michael TLV and Morgan. I had quick question. I currently run my Denon 1910 through DVI and was wondering if this would provide a better picture than running through component. I notice only on DVD's that in dark areas I get what looks like geographical mapping happening on the dark scenes (for lack of a better description). This doesn't happen in HD leading me to think that there is enough resolution to prevent this. Is this a product of the TV or a product of the DVD player? I can live with it, but the perfectionist in me just has to know if this is the best it can be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
plouie10 said:
I notice only on DVD's that in dark areas I get what looks like geographical mapping happening on the dark scenes (for lack of a better description). This doesn't happen in HD leading me to think that there is enough resolution to prevent this. Is this a product of the TV or a product of the DVD player? I can live with it, but the perfectionist in me just has to know if this is the best it can be.
I think that might be mpeg2 compression artifacts from a low bitrate authoring.

Try a copy of "Attack Of The Clones" or T2 Extreme.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

DVI is the preferred method for your Denon. If you go to Component ... you lose the upconversion capability which is the point for getting this player. Besides, the TV was optimized for the DVI signal and not the component video so going to component may bring up a whole new nest of issues. (Psst ... it's like the component section didn't really get calibrated since it's practically another TV).

The set by its nature is somewhat weaker on the dark end. The color gradient falls off significantly there. Sort of like looking at a 16 million color image that falls to 256 colours when things get dark.

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response Michael. On the Denon should I be using 720P or 1080I setting?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The only way to know for sure is to put up a resolution chart like one found in DVE just after the overscan pattern and look at the fine horizontal and diagonal lines.

Pick 720p and see what the lines look like ... then pick 1080i ... and do the same. Pick the resolution that displays the lines the best.

(I'm guessing 720p on the Denon ... from what I remember, but other upconverting players do 1080i better so you never know.)

Regards

·
Registered
194 Posts
MichaelTLV

I was reading your response to and an earlier post and I wonder if the problem with my color is due to using component video and progressive scan on my Panasonic RP56 with the 44NHM84. If I deselect progressive scan the picture goes very light but when progressive scan is selected the colors get richer. Should I forget the component video and just use "S" video?

Michael TLV said:
Greetings

DVI is the preferred method for your Denon. If you go to Component ... you lose the upconversion capability which is the point for getting this player. Besides, the TV was optimized for the DVI signal and not the component video so going to component may bring up a whole new nest of issues. (Psst ... it's like the component section didn't really get calibrated since it's practically another TV).

The set by its nature is somewhat weaker on the dark end. The color gradient falls off significantly there. Sort of like looking at a 16 million color image that falls to 256 colours when things get dark.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
daz-man said:
If I deselect progressive scan the picture goes very light but when progressive scan is selected the colors get richer. Should I forget the component video and just use "S" video?
S-video cannot transmit 480P, only 480i, so if you want PS (and the richer colours), you need Component video. See the Digital Home FAQ on "Cables & Connections".

·
Registered
194 Posts
I deselected the progressive scan on the component video and the blotchy colors, in the dark scenes, cleared up quite a bit. I think I'll have to tweak the colors a bit more. I'm going to look at the Denon 2910 in a few months.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "geographical mapping". Doesn't the 1910 use the faroujda chip set that suffers from "macro-blocking" via DVI? Thought I had read that somewhere.

PBC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts