Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Calibrating different inputs

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Just setting up our new LG LD400.

Went to the library and grabbed a copy of Freak Friday, the only DVD I could find there with the THX Optimizer. Regular DVD player with component cables.

Picture looked fine after I adjusted the settings.

Watching Law & Order on my 8300HD cable box (via HDMI), the scenes were way too dark. Then I realized that the settings were individual to each input.

So what's the solution? Do I just copy the settings from the DVD input to the HDMI input, game input, etc?

If tools like calibration DVDs or Spyder work off of a DVD, how do I calibrate my cable box connection?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Copying the settings is a good start.

Since there will be some difference between the component and HDMI because of analog offsets/tolerances on the component interface you might need to adjust it.

The other factor is that the different TV stations are not always consistent in black level or colour settings.

The other thing to look for is that if you get HDNet they broadcast a test pattern on Saturday mornings. Just record that and you can use it to set up the TV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.