Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have an interesting situation. I wanted an extra outlet for a completely NEW TV cable connection. I wanted to pay a separate bill from the rest of the household. However, when the cable guy arrives he said that he can't drill holes because I live in a townhouse and for some liability issue, he can't drill a hole. He was going to bring a long cable from one of the bedrooms upstairs and staple it.

I told him not to do it and rescheduled the appointment.

Did I get an inflexible cable guy? Or is there some validity to his statement?

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
I live in a condo and when I had my cable modem installed, they didn't just drill a hole, they ran the cable the length of my unit behind walls and ceiling. They also cut & repaired access holes so they could do that. In a condo, the unit owner can give permission for holes etc. entirely within their unit Any holes in the common elements require permission from the condo board. If that's a freehold town home, again the owner can give permission. Call for another appointment and let them know, before the tech shows up, what's expected. Get a ticket number for reference, should the tech disagree with what's been agreed to.

BTW, the first tech that showed up wanted to staple a cable to baseboards, around doors etc. I refused. Rogers then sent a two man crew, who took 3 hours to do an excellent job.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
No, the standard install is by some staple happy "tech". It was only after I refused what he wanted to do that they sent the other crew. I didn't have to pay any more for the proper install. However, this was about 11-12 years ago. Things may have changed since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts