Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Better to switch to Fiber Optics, Rogers line really sucks not matter Rogers itself or TPIA. Bell's Fiber is undoubtedly expensive, however, I recommend an alternative company that provides Fiber Optics in Condos and Apartments called CIK Telecom: they have their infrastructure in the building so technical support is much more responsive than Bell. Also the price is fair enough, 500m/500m for only $39.99.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
^^^^
Rogers is fibre to the neighbourhood and, in some cases, to the home. A friend has Gb download over Rogers. I have a 75/10 package and regularly get low-mid 90s down and about 11 up.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Rogers 1Gb cable internet is fairly common these days. Bell still has 50Mb or 100Mb FTTN or 10Mb DSL in a lot of areas where Rogers is offering 1Gb. TPIAs typically max out at 500Gb or lower even where Rogers has 1Gb.

CIK Telecom can charge $39.99 because the only infrastructure they need to install or maintain is inside a building. Running fibre down the street and maintaining systems exposed to temperature extremes, damage and moisture is a lot more expensive. I think Bell could offer better prices in general but companies like CIK Telecom are picking low hanging fruit. At least they are passing along the savings.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
^^^^
100 Gb? Carriers are starting to use 100 Gb between offices. It's also used with undersea cables. Google has a 60 Tb cable. It has 6 pairs of fibre, with each carrying 100 wavelengths at 100 Gb each. There are other cables with more pairs.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Google needs such cables for their data centers, which are gigantic, and backbone connections. Don't know that they would currently be of any use to consumers. Most consumer devices are barely capable of reaching 1Gbps. I've heard of 10Gb internet service in Korea but that would be overkill for almost all residential use. Large businesses, especially those operating data servers, could certainly make use of it.

Not sure what this has to do with TPIAs being out in Ontario but I would hope that TPIAs reselling Rogers internet would have very fast backbone connections to Rogers or another backbone access provider. I've seen what happens when backbone connections exceed capacity and it's not good for their internet customers.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
^^^^
I see you changed 100 Gb to 100 Mb. I was just expressing surprise at the 100 Gb number, when that's not normally used for customers. The most I've ever seen a customer get was 10 Gb and that was for a Scotiabank data centre.

As far as TPIA's backbone, that depends on a few things. While companies such a Rogers or Bell could have their own backbone, smaller companies might only connect as far as the nearest Internet exchange, such as the one at 151 Front St. W. in Toronto.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts