Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I am putting up 2 surrounds and the cable length will be about 45ft for each. I was going to pick up some 14 gauge speaker wire from Home depot. Is 14 G sufficient? Surrounds don't have much base so I was told 14g was fine. I am using 14g for the centre and fronts too but their length is max 6ft.
If it matter the speakers are Polks
Rti A9 fronts
CSI A6 center
FXi A6 surrounds
And for subwoofer cables I checked out Monoprice ...their prices are really cheap...too cheap maybe:) For 20 ft it was less than 2$...shipping etc was more. I don't believe in the hype of expensive cables but that seems awfully low. Low frequencies need more protection correct? Tiger direct was about 18$ or should I just get some custom made RG6 cables made at HD too?

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you 57...14g will work fine

I haven't bought the sub cable yet. Monoprices are good! but can anyone from Canada chime in about the extras that are added when UPS gets to your door?..I got hit hard with duties and fees that were more than the cost of the item before.

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks eljay

you must have had to pay our taxes though didn't you?...I doubt Stevie would appreciate that?
But that is good news...fees/duties/brokerages fees can really add up

S

·
Registered
491 Posts
can anyone from Canada chime in about the extras that are added when UPS gets to your door?
Monoprice ships by USPS and it arrives at your door by Canada Post.

Monoprice's prices are so low that many small shipments don't exceed the CD$25 threshold which triggers the whole duty/tax/brokerage cycle.

In the worst case, Canada Post only charges $5 brokerage fee plus GST/PST (HST).

Monoprice knows how to fill out the paperwork to your advantage.

MUCH better than UPS rape.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've ordered numerous items (cables, wire, wall plates, and adapters) from Monoprice and I've yet to pay any fees above and beyond what I paid to Monoprice. YMMV.
I'm with eljay on this, never had single issues with fees when ordering from monoprice. The only time I ever had issues was through partsexpress and I think the reason was not the vendor but rather the greedy carrier (Fedex). Save your dollar, monoprice cables are just as good as what you find in store, the only reason for the saving is cutting the middle man (store) which takes astronomical markups on cables:eek: See DHC's lengthy discussion about luxury cables.

All I would suggest NOT to do, is buy cables from $ stores (typically flimsy aluminum rather than copper). up to 50' cable, don't ever worry about using larger gage cable 14 gage is fine with most receiver <=> speaker connections I however tend to keep the length of a LR arrangement to the same length but this is also debatable when considering the short lengths. Also keep in mind that when doing the receiver calibration any adjustment is taken care of by the receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts