Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cable was out last night (somebody hit a pole I think) so I went to watch a show on the PVR, but kept getting a message that PVR was not available?

Can anybody comment on whether the previously recorded shows are or should be available when the cable is out?:confused:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think you would have a problem if the power to the cable box is interrupted and the two-way cable connection is not working when the power comes back.

As I recall, with my poor memory I am not sure, the cable box reboots when power is restored but does not get full functionality of the guide until the cable box can talk back to the cable head-end. This includes not getting the functionally of playback of recorded content.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's designed like this as the PVR needs an active cable signal. For the same reasons you can't take your PVR to your cabin and use it there unless you also have Shaw cable at your cabin.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Pretty sad that Shaw does this. Credit Bell, they have always allowed you to watch PVR events. I believe even Rogers allows it now.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I'm not sure it's really Shaw. I think it's a firmware issue with Motorola hardware. None of the Motorola STB's (or those designed to work with Moto headends (eg. certain Pace models)) operate without an active cable signal. Doesn't matter whether it's Shaw, Rogers, Cogeco, Novus, or any other Motorola headend device.

I am not sure whether SA architecture has this limitation. I think Rogers only allows it on its SA platforms, not its Motorola ones. Someone in the Maritimes could verify?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
SA/Cisco allows the PVR to function now. I believe this came into effect a few years ago. Before that, there was the same limitation - having to be connected to cable.

·
Super Moderator
16,850 Posts
Unless something has changed, Shaw PVRs can continue to play recordings until they lose power.

When a PVR powers up, it talks to the head-end for authorization. The PVR function is disabled if it can't get authorization from the head-end. The PVR keeps that authorization even if the coax cable is disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
So, a good reason to have a UPS for short outages, as discussed on this forum many times.

- Keeps recording during short power outages (cable is usually live)
- Means you can watch your recordings if cable goes down
- Helps prevent HDD "crashes" if the unit shuts down while recording, etc.
- Protects your equipment.

Just make sure to plug any "heavy users" into the "surge only" side of the UPS so that the PVR stays up as long as possible. A UPS can be purchased for as little as $50 on sale and you don't need a large one.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A cautionary note on 57's suggested use of a UPS with a Shaw cable box.

Sometimes when I have had problems with my Shaw cable box, the CSRs will ask whether my cable box is plugged directly into a room power outlet or through another power device such as a power bar. When I answer yes they refused to offer further assistance until the cable box was plugged directly into a room power outlet saying that the cable box was sometimes adversely affected by these devices.

I tried to argue the point a few times but gave up. Now if I have problems with my cable box, I usually make sure I have tried to resolve the problem by having the cable box plugged directly into a room power outlet and the coax input on the cable box plugged directly into the room's cable outlet. The major pain being the power connection as a change in that resets the cable box and I loose the guide info for many hours.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
They need to ask that question since many (inexpensive) power bars cause issues, however, I have still to find a good UPS that causes an issue.

Also, if you have an amplifier for the cable signal, this also needs to be plugged into the battery side of the UPS to allow power failure recording and no loss of cable signal.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sure, a crappy UPS or power bar may be the culprit for some issues, but Alan, if you know for sure your UPS is not at fault, you don't have to tell the CSR you're plugged into one during diagnostics. One time I had issue with one of my DVRs the CSR asked me to replug the power into the wall instead of my UPS, I unplugged but just to find out I didn't have free slots on the wall so I just replugged right back to where it was. The CSR BS'ed that he could see that it was much better with the power source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts