Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I connect my Cable Modem to a 5 port switch and then to my Airport Express? I have two ethernet cables feeding from my basement that I want to provide a signal to.

Airport Express does not have any "out" ports so I am kind of stuck....

Will this layout work?

Modem --> Switch --> Airport Express

I needed the Airport Express to supply connection to my 2nd floor iMAC.... I needed the switch to connect two ethernet cables supplying connection to my TV and Blu-Ray downstairs...wanted to move the cable modem and router down to the main floor to balance the signal strength....

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Yes, it will work.

Make sure you can lease more than one IP address from your ISP for any additional router/network device that you plan to also attach to your switch.

That said, I should warn you that any devices that are just connected to the switch will not be protected by the "firewall" that routers typically provide equipment.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not sure this would be a good idea as it will expose your devices on the switch to the wide open internet. Plus the fact that you'll need more than 1 routable IP. Your ISP may charge you for that.

Why wouldn't you use the standard Router->Router->Switch config?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure this would be a good idea as it will expose your devices on the switch to the wide open internet. Plus the fact that you'll need more than 1 routable IP. Your ISP may charge you for that.

Why wouldn't you use the standard Router->Router->Switch config?
@Dajota: Confused! Is there a MAC version? Thanks for the link though!

@Cambo:

Here is my current setup to alleviate any confusion.

iMAC (2nd Floor) currently connected wirelessly to adjacent Airport Express/Cable Modem
I need the Airport Express to provide signal to my MacBook (Main Floor) and iPod (Main Floor)

I recently purchased a new TV/Blu Ray Player for the basement. I ran Ethernet from the basement to the Main Floor. I didn't want to connect to the TV/Blu Ray wirelessly so that is I why I ran the 2 Ethernet cords upstairs.

The plan is to bring down the Cable Modem and Airport Express (that is currently on the second floor beside the iMAC) to the main floor. I was hoping to connect the Cable Modem to the Airport Express and then to the Switch. From the Switch feed the two Ethernet Cables and bingo I have signal down to the basement.

Problem is with the Airport Express -- doesn't have any connections (to support an output signal)

Someone mentioned going with the Airport Extreme but don't feel like shelling out another 200 bones.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Problem is with the Airport Express -- doesn't have any connections (to support an output signal)
Are you saying the Airport Express has no RJ45 connectors on it aside from the one you plug into your cable modem? That isn't very useful...

I agree that $200 is a lot for a Airport Extreme, but there are plenty of better routers for less money that can be had. You could investigate one of those.

See smallnetbuilder.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts