Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this unit a couple of days ago. Everything is hooked up and working fine. However, I'm completely stumped on how to connect my fm radio cable to this thing. The FM stations are piped in where I live thru the tv cable - I have an adapter attached to the cable with 2 wire leads, but where do I connect them ? Anybody knows how to properly connect this, I sure would appreciate the help. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
It will depend on the FM connector on the back of the receiver.

- some have a straight forward coax cable connection (75 ohm) (quick connect or screw on)

- some have a 300 ohm connection that requires a balun and the "two wires" from the cable you mentioned.

- some have a screw and "hoop", where the screw is used for the internal coaxial bare wire and the "hoop" clamps over the braided outside wire.

- some have a "proprietary connector" that fits into the receiver, but the other end is a coax connection perfect for the cable.

You likely have one of these four, as well as a operating manual that may provide some instructions. ;)

Do you have a link to a good picture of the back of the unit?

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
At the top of that photo, it looks like you have a straightforward connection for a coax cable (FM, unbalanced 75 ohm) labelled antenna. Beside it are the two connectors for an AM dipole antenna.

Remove the "balun" (the thing with the two wires on it) from the cable and attach the cable directly, like you would for a TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't work, 57......there's no screw type post to attach the cable to.
What is attached to the receiver is a smooth round post that I don't know what attaches to. Still confused...

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
There are cables that are "quick connect" type coax cables that also have smooth round ends instead of the screw (female to fit over the male). You may be able to find them at a dollar store or electronics store.

These were all the rage a few years back, supplied with a lot of VCRs, etc. instead of the screw on cable. You may need a barrel connector at the other end if you're not coming straight off a splitter or wall outlet, but you probably are. Instead of screwing on, they simply slipped over the male end.

That's my best guess. If that doesn't fit, perhaps there was a proprietary connector supplied with the A/V receiver? I got one with my Yammy, but I think my guess is correct.

·
Registered
47 Posts
57's correct
either use a pushon coax cable or go get an adaptor. I used the adaptor method on mine. Bought the adaptor at Home Depot for abt $4 and itworks fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it took me a while to figure this out. Thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts