Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a dishpoint for a client and tuned in 111.7 on my birdog usb 4.0 and peaked it at 76 sig & 74 qua. However, I seem to be missing a bunch of channels-pretty much all the eastern stuff & the HD and tsn400. Sportsnet comes in crystal clear, but nothing on 712. They have an old school hd decoder tied into a 400 series rcvr. There is a remote chance of tree interference to the left of the dish.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You won't be able to tune in HD channels using that HD decoder anymore, as Starchoice has moved the HD channels to 8PSK modulation. You'll need either the DSR505 or 530 for that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sportsnet comes in crystal clear, but nothing on 712
Despite BGY11's post regarding the HD, I would think you should be getting 712 if you are pointed at Anik F2 @ 111.7. I'm not familiar with the meter you are using; can it confirm that you are, in fact, looking at F2?

Do you get a picture on 299, 301, 303? These are F1R channels.
Do you get a picture on 701? This is an F2 channel (as is 712).

Perhaps you are receiving Anik F1R channels with the Anik F2 side of the LNB. If this is the case, you need to rotate the azimuth of the dish to the west four degrees until you pick up F2 with the boresite of the dish (the eye of the LNB that is in line of the LNB support arm), and then the F1R will come in on the offset side of the LNB. Remember the signals cross once they are reflected off the dish: the easterly bird's signal hits the westerly eye of the LNB & vice-versa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
299 comes in, but not 300. It doesn't pick up the next channel until 306 which is a CBC Calgary. Birdog is a meter manufactured by Perfect Vision. It only displays 111, which is locked in at 75% sig strength & 80% quality on a 75cm dish. I'm going to try a 505 and bring a spare dish. I've done approx. 100 *C installs & never seen it pick up 111 and not pick up 107.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE
I went back out today with a 200 series rcvr and surprise, every channel was available and the signal & quality #'s were all 80+. There must be an issue between *C & the client in regards to the rcvr configuration. It came up as US for the channels that didn't come in and S for the ones that did. On the 200 series, the ones that didn't come in were NS.
Comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Which 200 series?

The 209 is the only one of them that can get all the Standard Def channels, and can lock to all transponders, for it has an 8PSK tuner.

The 205 and 207 can lock only QPSK transponders.

Same for the 319, vs the rest of the 300 and 400 series, and the straight 500.

It might be a V-code issue as well.

300 is a horizontal channel, and requres the correct v-code set to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts